Ever seen a GPW engine cracked on top of the head?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Ever seen a GPW engine cracked on top of the head?

Post by 42cargo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi all,

Thought you might find this of interest. I'm familiar with many of the usual places a GPW block cracks, but I don't know that I've seen them break like this around the head bolts and valve seats:

This engine, which is an early '45, was running when I bought it and I'm thinking it's worth putting back together and see if it runs without any issues. Worst-case scenario is if it fails, I'll have the spare '44 block that's correctly dated for my December '44 GPW bored, stitched, and time-serted to bring it back to life.

Anyone run into this before? Any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks,

John

artificer
banned

Re: Ever seen a GPW engine cracked on top of the head?

Post by artificer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Cracks around the head studs are not so common & can be caused by torquing the head studs into the engine block when they are meant to be fitted with sealant & just over finger tight.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:22 pm

John
Luc's spot on. I 've seen those same cracks on gpw engines a few times myself. Was worried the first time but the Engine ran without any problems. Got to say they were all on engines that had the heads bolted on. Don't recall seeing the cracks on later engines fitted with studs.
regards Nick

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 am

Thanks for all your input. This bolsters my initial thought of putting it back together and running it. If problems develop at a later date, I'll go over to plan B.

Will post updates on this thread for those who might be interested: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=295942

Sincerely,

John

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 am

Now, when I have that, (common on GPWs as I assume Ford's casting house was taking some shortcuts), I always put thread inserts in the stud holes, and install hardened seats in the valve seats. Maybe not necessary but then I know nothing bad will ever happen to it. It's in the machine shop anyway.
Last one I did needed valve seats anyway as they had been ground too much.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 am

Maybe a bit off topic, but the mention above of bolts being used rather than studs answers a question I had about the engine I bought a few weeks ago. It is a WW2 engine, with head bolts rather than studs, and I was wondering whether that was original. Maybe, maybe not?

All of the other Jeeps I have owned have been post war, so the bolts struck me as odd.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee
Shade Tree Mechanic more than 50 years.
None of us are as smart as we pretend to be.

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 am

What’s the date on your block? GPWs transitioned from bolts to studs in Nov/Dec ‘44 as best I know.

harve
G-Major
G-Major

Post by harve » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:37 am

Overheating the engine over the years will also cause those cracks. you’ll be fine after rebuild

harve
G-Major
G-Major

Post by harve » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 am

Put a bad ass Copper Head gasket on it , you’ll be good to go

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:26 am

Depends on how many used Jeep engine blocks one has inspected. These cracks are quite common, especially on Jeep engines that have been driven while overheated.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”