Fuel Pump Gasket Source?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Moabrubi
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Fuel Pump Gasket Source?

Post by Moabrubi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 am

Was going to go for a drive today and noticed the fuel pump leaking between the two halves (for lack of a better term). Found all the screws were loose, tried tightening them to no avail. I tried searching for the gasket I need, but I could only find the fuel pump bowl gasket. Any ideas?

Also any expert tips for replacing this without making a mess? :mrgreen:

ImageUntitled by Moabrubi, on Flickr

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Re: Fuel Pump Gasket Source?

Post by The Fireman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:26 am

Hi,

Check with our host of this site. It may well be the diaphragm that is leaking. There are rebuild kits available, but find one with an ethanol resistant diaphragm in it. The other option is try one of Joe's Motor Pool new fuel pumps that our host also sells.

Good luck, it is not hard to rebuild the fuel pump, but a bench vise will come in handy to hold the pump. Last note, check the spring color that goes with the diaphragm, there has been some posts in the past concerning some springs that put out to much pressure. You would have to do a search for that information on the springs unless someone who is more knowledgeable jumps in.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:52 am

Right, that is not a gasket your arrow is pointing to; that is the diaphragm and that means your pump needs a new one; do what the Fireman said.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Moabrubi
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Moabrubi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks guys, i have a lot to learn. sounds like I’ll have to give Ron a call. Though I looked around and rebuild kits are almost as much as a new pump? I suppose it wouldn’t be a bad thing to learn how to do the rebuild for whenever I get around to restoring my Dads 42 mb.

I have noticed lately I have needed to pump the throttle a bit more when cold to get it started, wonder if it’s somehow related.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:38 am

Pump the throttle? Please go back and read your set of TMs for about a month, every day, and you will learn a lot about your jeep and it's parts nomenclature.
If you don't have a complete set of TMs, including the SNL, they are free on Jeep Draw.
Also get AAW and as many other books as you can. Study them every day; I still do.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Ladislav
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ladislav » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes this is the diagraph leaking. I have rebuilt myself the fuel pump, have grinded both pump halfs on glas to get plain smooth surfaces , have installed new diagraph, and... it leaks... not to much but it leaks... :D
This is the diagrapf if the pump is OK.

Lad.

Moabrubi
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Moabrubi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks guys, i went ahead and ordered a new repro through Ron, i dont think this is an original pump so no sense in rebuilding it now. :mrgreen:

Scoutpilot
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Scoutpilot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:11 am

Pull the oil dipstick and check for gasoline (sniff it) in your oil. If found, change the oil before your next startup. Gas dilutes the oil to the point it no longer lubes the bearing surfaces.
'70-'71 'A' Batt., 377th FA, 101AB
(Slicks and LOH's)(Col's LOH Pilot)
'71-72 CHARLIE TROOP,
16TH AIR CAV, 1ST AVN BDE (AEROSCOUTS)
LOW LEVEL HELL.
'46 CJ2A
'47 CJ2A
'48 CJ2A
'48 B1PW126
'69 CJ5

tsmgguy
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by tsmgguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 am

The good news is that this was your excuse to order an original or repro WWII pump, with finger lever. The glass bowl pumps are generally post war. Using the lever before starts primes the carb and means less cranking, especially if it's been awhile since the engine's been been run.
Willys MB 236426, Hood 20336549, DOD 5-20-43
Piper L-4A "Grasshopper", Sn. 10371, USAAF 43-29080, DOD 5-28-43

Moabrubi
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Moabrubi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Yes the repro original style pump from Ron is very nice. I got it installed over the weekend. Took a bit to figure out how the F to get the bolts started, but eventually figured out the technique. Probably goobered the gasket in the process as it leaks a little oil now but i got a new gasket and will be taking more care this time for a leak free dealio. Also need to put some thread tape on the fuel line to pump connection as it started leaking.

Also I took a sniff of the oil and it smelled like oil which is good news as I had just changed it.

Slowly learning one project at a time.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”