Going to France first time advice

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
tomkebby
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Going to France first time advice

Post by tomkebby » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:43 am

Hi every one.

I'm going to France for the first time driving and with my jeep and also like to attend D Day events nether done this before.

Any advice on does and don't for first time?

And anything i need to take with me and the jeep?

I appreciate any advice to this.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

thanks tom.

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Going to France first time advice

Post by David » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:35 am

Where are you staying?

I would start by compiling a day-to-day list of what to see and do, along with the museums you must visit. A good up to date map of the area is also a must. Also bring essential (modern) tools and small spare parts, like a spare fuel pump or repair kit. There are a number of shows which some vehicle parts suppliers attend, and there might be a few that set up shop somewhere along the D514 (the coastal road) and are open all week long in case of mechanical trouble.

Don't get your fuel from gas stations near the highways but go to the ones that are located near large supermarkets (Super U, Intermarché, Carrefour etc.), they are way cheaper and are found near every larger town of cluster of villages.

Something very important about fuel... Avoid the 'Euro95 E10' at all costs! It contains a lot of ethanol that WILL eat through your membrane and flex lines in no time. Get Euro98 or, if not available for some reason, the regular Euro95. Stay away from any fuel marked 'E10'!!

Don't leave anything in the jeep you don't want to lose and isn't bolted or welded on. Sad but true.

tomkebby
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by tomkebby » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:45 am

I am staying with friends down in Valence just as trip away but happens to be on same week as D day.

thats really handy to know thank you about the shops on D514

Would the fuel still apply even thou i have up dated the engine when i rebuilt it with harden seat vales etc?

would the shovel and axe be safe or would people be nicking them inc fuel cans?

Thank you for your reply David

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:44 am

It's mainly for items such as fuel membranes and flexible lines but this stuff is known to even attack metal parts. Modern engines are designed for it but any vehicle older than 10 years can't really handle it.

Shovel and jerrycan are less at risk b/c they take more time to unstrap and remove (and are bigger), but you could consider securing them with discrete chains and padlocks. It won't stop a determined thief but probably will someone who walks past and thinks they would make a great souvenir.

Return to “Events”