SIGNAL CORPS GREEN?

Radio Telephone and Telegraph Transmitting and Receiving Equipment
topfmine
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Re: SIGNAL CORPS GREEN?

Post by topfmine » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 am

I did have a powder coat wrinkle finish i got from Trimite which was a correct match with WW2 US radios of the time. When i ran out the buggers at Trimite upped their minimum order from 10kg to 25 kg. Recently i have been experimenting with wrinkle paint from tin you buy of the shelves. If you get yellow pigment and mix it with black wrinkle paint it turns green not dark yellow (try it). I tried 7 drops from a syringe of yellow with 3 additional drops of orange to 100ml of black wrinkle decanted from a can. The only trouble i have found decanting paint from a spray can is not the pressure but the paint still contains its fizz an is volatile on its own days after emptying from the tin. After mixing a small amount for a spray test which went on in a thick coat, i had a perfect match. Worth a try to make your own. If i could get rid of the volatile gas remaining in the paint it would be much easier to mix properly, anyone know how to do this? Shame you can buy wrinkle paint in a pot rather than a spray. If anyone has a go let us know how you got on.

GPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by GPW » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:10 am

OK, I understand that Federal Standard is 1950´s era and it does not have a color called SCGreen but I think it is impossible that it does not have a very similar or same color but with a different name or number reference.

These charts FS or RAL os Pantone, etc has hundreds colores and variations of shades. I think that if someone knows the exact color SCGreen WWII - because to have a original radio - he should be able to identify it in a standardized letter color chart.

Regards
Augusto Mas
SPAIN
Willys MB
Hotchkiss M201

MkDorney
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by MkDorney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am

The late war Semi-gloss I use is OD 319. it looks great ! it is not the same shade as the late war OD 24087.

GPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by GPW » Thu May 03, 2018 3:19 am

Hello everyone, first thanks to the members who helped me with SCGreen's question and sent me samples.

Unfortunately I could not make the correct SCG paint. It is very difficult to obtain the correct shadow.

The pictures show the last paint coat but it's not good enough for me, so I think I'll end up painting the BC with the semi glossy 319 OD that Mk Dorney said he painted his radios. Thank you

how to delete a blog on blogger

Augusto Mas
SPAIN
Willys MB
Hotchkiss M201

GPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by GPW » Thu May 03, 2018 3:30 am