WWII Laptop Messenger Bags

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
Mr_Flibble
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: WWII Laptop Messenger Bags

Post by Mr_Flibble » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 am

I'm loving the looks of these bags, Rob.
Great stuff.

Would love to get my hands on one with a Signal Photo Company/Press/Combat Camera Unit theme.
Rick

1943 - Willys MB - #221863 1A-165SPC * PHOTO-3

RobL
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RobL » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Glad you dig the bag Mr Flibble.

The 'photog' theme is pretty near and dear to my heart.

I'm close to finishing up three of the khaki 'metal link' bags with para straps, camo chute liner (what I call the 'rigger bag') but none of these have been stenciled yet. I'll get these done - without markings - post some pix of them, and then customize with markings according to buyers' wishes.

(finished a fourth new 'rigger' one, but that has already been spoken for).

Bags will be in the $225-$250 range depending on the effort to customize. Something like that.

Thanks

RL

Mr_Flibble

Post by Mr_Flibble » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:03 am

Cheers Rob,

I'll keep my eye on this topic ;)
Rick

Jeeps4Brains
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jeeps4Brains » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:04 am

Hey RL, what kind of machine are you running? Walking foot? Max thickness you can sew? Alan
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

RobL
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RobL » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:58 am

A vintage Consew 206 RB walking foot. (Got three machines actually - for different needs) Can handle about 3/8 inch thick layer of canvas, webbing, and leather. Could likely drive a needle through a car bumper.
Thx. Rob

RobL
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RobL » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:13 pm

WWII Rigger Laptop Messenger Bags

I’ve been working on a few variations of the basic ‘rigger bag’ design. (I call this basic style the Mark 1, or M1).

I'm working on a few different ways to better ‘secure’ the front flap of the bags for those who want that extra bit of security.

I’ve got four variations of this M1.

Type I – M1A1 - The ‘clean flap’ - has only an internal strap underneath the outer flap that will secure the laptop in place, but the front flap is left to drape over the bag – some folks like the clean lines of this style. And most of the bags I've made have this style of closure. Clean and simple. Bag has original WWII parachute snaps and rings and webbing for the shoulder strap. White silk parachute lining. Call it the "Operation Torch" bag.

Type II – M1A2 - Lift the Dot - has WWII lift the dots so you can secure the flap. We all love LTD fasteners. These fittings are from a sack of original WWII hardware. In case you have an overstuffed bag, this one gives you two places to secure the LTD. Bag has original WWII parachute snaps and rings and webbing for the shoulder strap.

Type III – M1A3 - Musette Style with buckle – has buckles that accept a short straps to hold the flap in place. Bag has original WWII parachute snaps and rings and webbing for the shoulder strap.

Type IV – M1A4 - long strap with buckle– like a mountain rucksack. This style has straps that run the full perimeter around the bag. But rather than regular webbing, in this case I had a little fun and used a WWII dated - and slightly grimy - .30 cal ammo belt. I felt the ammo belt made it a bit more fun. Perhaps the kinda laptop bag that Gunny Basilone would have carried around Guadalcanal. I also used a WWII dated .50 cal web belt as the adjustable shoulder strap instead of the white parachute webbing. More belt-fed fun!

Most of the ‘rigger bag’ styles are lined with WWII (or immediate postwar) camo chutes. Seems to be a favorite with folks. But I'm happy to make the 'early war' white silk lining too.

You'll notice the top, inside seams are held fast with copper rivets.

A large MacBook Pro fits inside the padded laptop compartment, and you can see the bags are big enough to hold a couple nice OD metal 'tool boxes'. I'm playing with variations on the 'hand grab' handle as well. Some are sewn on top, some tucked into the back. Most are para webbing, but one is 30 cal ammo belt to maintain the 'belt fed' theme. Just depends on your taste. They all work.

I haven’t stenciled these new bags to any particular unit. Some folks have asked me about some custom stenciling on these new bags. So I’ll let you know how that goes.

For fun, I loosely stitched an original German mine warning pennant on one bag. I call this bag “D Plus One”. Some lucky Pathfinder survived the night in the hedgerows and is collecting souvenirs as he makes his way to Carentan.

Let me know if you have interest in a particular bag. Or if you wanna see more detailed pix. If you have some stenciling in mind, I'll do what I can to satisfy. I’m selling each of these for $250.

RobL
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RobL » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:17 pm

The Operation Torch bag (white silk chute lining) just sold.

Thanks

(but I can make another one!)

RL

Mr_Flibble

Post by Mr_Flibble » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:15 am

You have a message :)
Rick

RobL
G-Major
G-Major
Even More WWII Laptop Messenger Bags

Post by RobL » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:04 am

More Laptop Messenger Bags!

‘Short Timer’: Original USMC Mitchell pattern shelter half. Other pieces on this ‘60s era bag include an M14 ammo pouch on the side; bag straps and clear plastic window pocket from a M1961 buttpack; a small arms parts pouch and cleaning kit on the inside; 7.62 ammo bandolier; and shoulder straps repurposed from M1956 suspenders. This is all genuine Viet Nam era stuff. Fits nicely under those miserable web troop seats on that last C-130 outta Khe Sanh.

‘Wacht Am Rhein’: The WWII German bag is made from an affordable repro zeltbahn in an SS camouflage print. (I’m nuts, but not crazy enough to cut up an original). This bag has hand stitched (vintage) leather straps and buckles, and a custom shoulder strap made from some original German linen rucksack fabric. Quilted padded linen on the bottom protects the goods inside. Not quite big enough for an Enigma Machine, but can safety schlep the Obersturmbannfuhrer’s MacBook Pro.

‘The ‘Canal’: USMC bag from original WWII poncho. 50 caliber web ammo belt converted to a shoulder strap. Poncho's green side out makes it very practical for those damp Guadalcanal patrols.

‘Willie and Joe’. Just like Bill Mauldin’s dogfaces, this bag is war weary, disheveled and ‘been there, done that’. A GI raincoat flap makes it water repellant – even added a repair patch to the flap – since that’s what Willie and Joe would have done. The shoulder strap is made from GI suspenders. Garand bandoliers and other repurposed pouches and ammo belts. My favorite. (has already found a new home – or should I say ‘foxhole’?).

Also made some wallets for grins from oddball fabrics.
Rubberized USN life vest; a jungle food pouch; and a USMC shelter half; whatever I found in the ‘parts bin’.

I sold all of these wallets at SOS in Louisville in February (along with most of the bags I took). I now see a vendor of repro uniforms and gear has just started fabricating wallets and ‘tote/junk bags’ from their repro materials. I guess they saw some promise when they fondled my wares. Flattered.

Currently working on a Vietnam “Thud Driver’s” bag; SOG ‘tiger’ bag; and a couple more camo USMC WWII bags – one shelter half goes a long way!

Thanks

Rob L.

RobL
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RobL » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Should have mentioned, that 'The Canal' bag has shipped out for the Solomons and the bag stenciled with the 'cameraman official' insignia is also on its way to the front line.

thx

Rob

Mr_Flibble

Post by Mr_Flibble » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 am

Mine should arrive any day now. :)
It's probably stuck in customs. :x
Rick

RobL
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RobL » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 am

Hi Rick,
You're right, tracking shows that its awaiting clearance out of Netherlands customs.
Please let me know when its safely in your hands.
Thanks again.
Rob

Mr_Flibble

Post by Mr_Flibble » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 am

Love it

Rick

ww2imp
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by ww2imp » Tue May 09, 2017 7:15 pm

These look outstanding Rob!!!!!!
Juan Gonzalez, Pres
WWII Impressions, Inc.
www.wwiiimpressions.com
(Makers of fine replica WWII era U.S. military Uniforms)
1945 CCKW 353 (Mail Call Episode)

RobL
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RobL » Tue May 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you Juan - means a lot coming from you.

I'll have about a dozen at Vintage Production's show this weekend at Pomona Fairgrounds - (West Coast Historical Militaria Collectors Show - don't ya know :wink: ). I'll be set up near Bob.

I hope to see you there - would very much welcome tips from the expert!

Rob L.

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”