Pentagon reporting issues with new SIG M17 pistols

Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
wreckless
Gee Addict

Pentagon reporting issues with new SIG M17 pistols

Post by wreckless » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 am

http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...with-regular-bullets

Army's New Pistols Often Eject Live Rounds and Don't Work Well With Regular Bullets

A Pentagon report reveals the guns continued to suffer jams and other malfunctions after winning an already controversial competition.

BY JOSEPH TREVITHICK
JANUARY 29, 2018

The U.S. Army’s decision to select two versions of Sig Sauer’s 9mm P320 pistol as the new standard sidearms across the service was not without controversy, including a formal protest by competing gun maker Glock, which claimed the service didn't complete certain critical tests. The Pentagon recently released a report that shows testing of the M17 and M18 handguns exposed a number of significant and persistent deficiencies, including firing accidentally if a shooter dropped the gun, ejecting live ammunition, and low reliability with traditional "ball" cartridges with bullets enclosed inside a full metal jacket.

These and other details were in the Pentagon’s Office of the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation review of such work during the 2017 fiscal year, which it published earlier in January 2018. This regular report covers a wide variety of high profile weapon systems and other important equipment across the U.S. military, including the Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS) program. In January 2017, the Army chose Sig Sauer to supply a total more than 300,000 of the full size M17 and compact M18 pistols as part of that project, a deal worth approximately $580 million. The other U.S. military services are now considering following suit and adopting the guns and the company is making essentially the same gun available to civilian shooters as well.

According to the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation, the guns experienced a number of issues in testing between April and September 2017, which is the end of the period the report covers. The first of these was a publicly known issue that the pistol could go off if the user dropped the weapon. Needless to say, an accidental discharge could be dangerous to the shooter or those around them.

The Army discovered this issue during the initial “Product Verification Test,” but it is unclear when specifically the service became aware of the problem. Sig Sauer did subsequently make unspecified changes to fix this issue in the M17 and M18 pistols.
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

raymond
G-General
G-General

Re: Pentagon reporting issues with new SIG M17 pistols

Post by raymond » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:09 pm

wreckless wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 am
http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...with-regular-bullets

Army's New Pistols Often Eject Live Rounds and Don't Work Well With Regular Bullets

A Pentagon report reveals the guns continued to suffer jams and other malfunctions after winning an already controversial competition.

BY JOSEPH TREVITHICK
JANUARY 29, 2018

The Pentagon recently released a report that shows testing of the M17 and M18 handguns exposed a number of significant and persistent deficiencies, including firing accidentally if a shooter dropped the gun, ejecting live ammunition, and low reliability with traditional "ball" cartridges with bullets enclosed inside a full metal jacket.

Wow. :shock: FMJ "ball" ammunition is usually the type of ammunition to reliably cycle through a pistol without jamming.

Raymond
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm

M-1911 did an awful good job for many decades, I've seen them fire flawlessly after being submerged in a slurry of sand and water. Why not buy a pistol with a proven track record. It seems that the Gov't is a magnet for replacement pistols that don't work.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Diesel Dave
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:16 am

I agree,Joel. If it ain't broke,don't fix it!

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am

You guys are right, should have went with Glock :wink:
Ben Dover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm
Why not buy a pistol with a proven track record. It seems that the Gov't is a magnet for replacement pistols that don't work.
Diesel Dave wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:16 am
I agree,Joel. If it ain't broke,don't fix it!
Raymond
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:06 pm

Lotta inertia to a 45ACP slug, and that means plenty of stopping power.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:16 pm

A .45ACP pistol, while advantageous in limited circumstances, is not going to become the standard issue sidearm again. Nor is a hammer fired single action pistol made from complex machined parts. The 1911 was a great pistol in it's day. But that day was over at least a half a century ago. A double action 9mm pistol should have been adopted long before the Beretta 92. A striker fired polymer framed pistol should have been adopted at least 20 years ago. I like my old school hammer fired pistols as much as anyone. In fact, I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the polymer striker fired world. Once I broke down and bought one for concealed carry, there was no going back. I still carry some of my older pistols, but only rarely.

Raymond

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Should've gone with a glock. An eight year old can field strip it, they are reliable, a lot of the public is familiar with them, and they are cheap.

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:39 am

They went with the cheapest firearm. Let me know how that almost always works out.
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

bharr
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by bharr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:02 am

Cheapest gun, ha!!!! Let's see $580 million divided by 300,000 pistols works out to $1,933 per pistol. Now I'm sure that figure included extra magazines and spare parts, training etc. But still, that's a hefty price for a sidearm, not a primary weapon.
Stupid is free so it's everywhere !!

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:44 am

They were the cheapest bid by a substantial amount. Hard to believe but true.
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

Return to “Weapons”