SCREENS IN CCKW LOUVERED HOOD SIDE PANELS.

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

SCREENS IN CCKW LOUVERED HOOD SIDE PANELS.

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:12 pm

They are on there for radio suppression. Chevrolet 4X4 has them too.
Not all trucks had them.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: SCREENS IN CCKW LOUVERED HOOD SIDE PANELS.

Post by mudflap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Good observation.

Have noticed a number of components added to the CCKW, aimed at reducing its level of radiated (electromagnetic) emissions. Capacitors on various circuits (the ones switching loads), star washers for bonding the sheet metal, and as you mentioned, the screen behind the louvers in the side panels.

There is an interesting picture on page 193 of David Doyle's CCKW book, showing a what appears to be a test setup for measuring this. The caption implies that the suppression system is needed to both reduce interference/improve radio reception, and to decrease the potential for detection by the enemy.

Having spent some time in EMC chambers, I understand the radio reception/interference part, but was the detection of US vehicles by the enemy using their electromagnetic signature a technology that was widley used in WWII ? Have read books that talked about its succesful use by USAF AC-130 gunships in Viet Nam. Just curious if it was used at that time.

Any hams or old radio collectors out there? I'll bet they would know....

Best Regards...

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: SCREENS IN CCKW LOUVERED HOOD SIDE PANELS.

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:19 am

Am sure that the CCKW, MB, WC, and all other WWII MV's have a unique signature due to their differences in ignition and charging systems. They are quite primitive compared to the M-Series.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”