GMC CCKW Plant Photo

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee

GMC CCKW Plant Photo

Post by mudflap » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 pm

To All,

I love looking at old CCKW photos. I obviously like the ones showing the trucks in service, but I also like the ones taken in assembly plants. Every time I open up David Doyle's book, I spot something new in one of those images inside.

I'm sure that you have all seen this photo before:

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/45259788+ ... -plant.jpg

I had always wondered why it looked like the trucks in this pic were coming down the line backward, until I finally realized that I bet they are being disassembled for crating. Note the absense of the metal parts gondolas that usually sit next to the line, and the huge stacks of lumber in the background.

What do you think?

Best Regards...

radarsgunner1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: GMC CCKW Plant Photo

Post by radarsgunner1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 am

I don’t believe that they crated cargo dumps.
Paul Rea
MVPA #31101
1941 CCKW 352
1942 CCKW 353
1944 Ward Lafrance M1A1
1944 Brockway C666
1944 Ben Hur
1944 Willys MB
1945 CCKW Tipper

mudflap

Post by mudflap » Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 pm

I don’t believe that they crated cargo dumps.
Just ran across this in David Doyle's "The GMC Truck in U.S. Service".

On page 162, the text describes some of the ramifications of moving from TUPs to single unit packs:

"However, R. A. Crist revealed the significance of this change in these words: "Single unit pack necessitated the mounting of a body on every vehicle scheduled for export boxing, as compared with the practice under two-unit packing whereby two-unit body packs were shipped direct from sources." Pontiac Motor Division began boxing CCKWs in the new single unit pack on 5 June, with St. Louis doing the same ten days later. Change order P-289, 9 June 1944, dictated that from 1 July moving forward 70% of the cargo trucks were to be boxed, as were 80% of the cargo dump trucks. By 21 August, change order P-355 had been issued which reduced the number of cargo dumps to be boxed to 60%.

So... once again, I'm thinking that this photo probably shows trucks about to be boxed. Most likely at PMD (but maybe St. Louis?)

Best Regards....

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 pm

David Doyle had to wade thru a lot of "Dry" reading to put this excellent book together. I keep reading it over and over and see something new each time. What was fun was discovering either a pre war or early 42 stateside photo of a 1st Series SWB CCKW that had a USA Registration within a few hundred trucks to mine.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”