Gear oil for the CCKW

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Gear oil for the CCKW

Post by mudflap » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi illionis CCKW 352

Sounds good!!

Just out of curiosity, what did the sealing surfaces look like on your flanges? As I mentioned, mine were all pretty corroded, but I was able to clean most of them up on the lathe. I think I replaced one - it had very sloppy splines also, I recall....

The pic below is actually from one of the better looking ones.

AxleFlangeBeforeLowres.jpg
AxleFlangeBeforeLowres.jpg (145.39 KiB) Viewed 549 times

If you check the seal manufacturer's engineering data, they typically allow some tolerance for the OD of the flange, so you can usually get away with taking 0.010" - 0.020" off to clean things up. I believe the TM mentions this as well - at least for the transmission. ( Sleeving is always another option too.)

Bet you can't wait to get your new tires on and get out on the road! Have been waiting for this cold weather that is still sticking around up here to go away so I can do the same.. :)

Best Regards...

Bob

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:20 am

I sometimes install Redi-Sleeves as a precaution on yokes, it increases the diameter to ensure a tighter fit. As for OEM WWII issue leather seals, most are sealed in packages and will be still soft, those that have hardened or stiffened are discarded. Many are sealed in cosmoline and are perfectly preserved. I keep a supply of neatsfoot oil to rub or soak into some that have no preservative. My CCKW gets WWII Leather seals as needed and has no issues with them. There are still plenty of good GI Issue seals out there for WWII era MV's. As for corrosion on yokes having leather seals, many of these old MV's are approaching 8 decades and set a lot, sometimes for years without gear box service, moisture plays a huge factor and results in corrosion with vehicles having leather seals. They need to be serviced according to the manuals.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 am

Note that the CHEVRON Delo ESO GO is rated GL-4, GL-5 MT-1, same as LUBRIPLATE APG.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

mudflap

Post by mudflap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:39 am

You are correct. Delo satisfies the same specifications as the Lubriplate APG series of gear oils.

However, if you read its data sheet (see link, earlier post), you will find that it does not use sulphur based additives to achieve its EP rating.

Best Regards.....

illinois cckw 352
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by illinois cckw 352 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Mudflap, yeah mine looked reasonably better than that. Thats some pretty heavy pitting. With mine I could not really even feel a groove on the surface from the seal. Im waiting on the weather to clear here also in the St. Louis area. We had snow yesterday and rain today. Just more time to get the truck set up the way I want it for this summer. When its nice outside I drive it quite a bit around town. Planning on taking it to the MVPA show in June!

Ben, Thats exactly what I used to freshen mine up. I have a couple NOS seal kits that were wrapped up tight in there packaging. All the seals in them still looked really good.

-Curtis
1942 cckw 352.
1944 Clark CA-1 air dozer

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 pm

I have a good supply of WWII GI Issue CCKW Split/Banjo Seals, Chev 4X4, too.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”