A 969 rebuild from Downunder.

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: A 969 rebuild from Downunder.

Post by kw573 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that.

Yes, it is coming along slowly, almost finished all the vehicle lights including the rear light modifications, will post that later.
Then, indeed, the truck would be able to be inspected. However, I want the cranes finished and fitted before I do that.
Been driving it down my quiet country road, the neighbor said it doesn't rattle or anything, just sounds like a normal truck! :D :D
It does have a vibration which I suspect is the front tail/drive shaft. I'll investigate and report on that also.

I'm being called in to work more often now, which is slowing the progress, but helps the wallet. 8)

Have a nice day.
Sam.
1942 Script GPW (Daily driver).
MB-T trailer.
Diamond T 969. ('The Glorifier')
Diamond T 969, rusty, complete, for sale.
Kenworth M1A1 Heavy Wrecker x 2.
M2A1 white HT. ('Clarrie')
Light Recovery Trailer (Ford?).
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.
150gal water tanker trailer.
Air compressor trailer, 100c.f.m.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi all,

About posting pictures.

I've got picture posting issues. I use surfacezero, it does most of what I want it to do. But right now it is being naughty. Member galleries are "disabled", which means that I can't create a new gallery for the pictures I wish to add for the next few posts. And I'm not game to just add them anywhere, I'll never find them in the 1000+ pictures I have in Surfacezero.
As it is, my galleries are far too coarse, but it would be a big job to rearrange them and then fix the links in the 100s of posts in this thread!
Surfacezero also does not allow sub-galleries, or am I missing something?

So until I get access to creating new galleries, I can't post the pictures in a manageable way.

Almost finished the vehicle lights, got to clean/paint/fit a couple of Jerry can brackets and rifle brackets soon.

Sam.
Last edited by kw573 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Here a couple of pictures that I can post now.

Cutting the missing headlight adjusting nut hole was done with the step drill first, up to 30mm, then I marked out the remaining 4mm of material . . . .

. . . . and finished it with a die grinder. Then de-burr, paint and re-fit the headlight. Now to aim the headlights one fine evening.

Whilst sorting the rear lights, I realized that I had not allowed for a trailer park light feed. The wire is there, but the issue of the truck lighting system being designed with blackout lights meant that it was not straight forward. After options were considered, I pulled the trailer park wire from the junction block and added it to the vehicle park lights terminal, . . the one with the diodes mentioned several posts back. One more job done.

Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi all,

My picture hosting site, surfacezero, has the personal albums disabled, which is an issue to me for the management of the many pictures I have there. This is making me reluctant to post pictures through surfacezero until it is fixed, anyone know what is happening?

Anyway, I can do this part, the rear lights.
I had done a similar modification to my GPW 10 years ago. Start with an already disassembled tail light bucket, remove the inner plate which carries the mounting bolts and retains the bulb holders, which I'm not going to use. Braze in replacement bolts being careful to get them in the middle of the now flattened square hole . . . .

. . . and drill them out to clear the modern bulb holders I am using.

Also, drill out the gutted insert to take the bulb holder . . .

. . . so it works like this. Works great, but is a bit tricky to get it in the right place to start with, so I added alignment marks to help.

I had to file out some recesses to take the locking lugs on the bulb holder.

Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 pm

. . . .
On 3 of the four inserts, I had removed the lens. On the lower inserts, which are the blackout lights, this is to allow the removal of most to the 'filter plate' (my name) by hacksawing it off its' mounting lip, keeping the lip to retain the original sealing and spacings of the lens. While I was at it, I primed and painted the inside of the insert to maximize brightness. Selecting an insert with the crimping lugs, as shown, is way easier to undo than the inserts with a continuous crimped bezel.

When that was all reassembled, I turned to the wiring at the bulb holders. Having already test fitted them in the truck, I had cut to length and fitted bullet terminals. This gave me the length of loom to fit on this section.

Now, for the crown of this modification, the marine dual layer heat shrink. I'd never heard of this stuff until my local knowledgeable auto-electrician suggested it. It is large enough to go over the bulb holder . . . .

. . . and pull it all together. Not only that, it is also adhesive, and so locking onto the bulb holder and loom in a weather proof seal . . . hopefully. The shrink is off centre due to the external earth wire in the bulb holder.

Then, to finish off the sealing, I cut a piece of closed-cell foam to seal around the thermal shrink and then onto the inside rear of the bucket. It also holds the insert in place in the bucket! Win - win. :D

I'm happy with that.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 pm

. . . . another picture of how it goes together. The lower holder has been cut off as it was very long. I just ratted the holders out of a wrecked car my mate had.

Sorting out the lengths of wires and thinking out how to do the loom.

And finished.

Next is the trailer lights socket, which needs to be functional. BTW, does anyone have NOS inserts for the trailer socket? It is a black plastic-like cylinder that is a neat fit in the housing.

Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:36 pm

On a completely different note, I have been driving the Glorifier a lot more now. This has precipitated several commissioning issues.

One is the hard steering. Pumping the tyres up helped. :oops:

But I also noticed that it really likes going in a straight line, has to be really pulled around corners and the steering wheel quickly self-centers when I release it. That means the castor (caster) is too great. So I did an experimental adjustment, packing a 3mm shim under the front of the spring seat. When I loosened the U bolt nuts (1 9/16"AF), to my surprise, water dripped out of the threads.

Jacked up the spring and the gap opened up enough to slip a 3mm shim in place. This happened on both sides, having the effect of tipping the axle housing forward a bit.

Then I took it for a drive, some improvement, but I'll try a thicker shim, say, 5mm. The effect of adjusting it too far is that the steering starts to wander a bit and won't self centre very well, so there is a happy middle setting to find. The TM makes no mention of the steering adjustment beyond toe-in.
Most vehicles have this setting listed and have a way of adjusting it. The method that I am using can be used on many (any?) solid front axle vehicles, 2, 4, or 6 wheel drive, but attention must be paid to not separating the spring from its' seat so far as to dis-engage the spring center bolt. Also note that if the spring is under the axle housing (not like the 969), the effect of shim in the front increases castor instead if reducing it!

Getting there.
Have a nice day.
Sam.

Have a nice day.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by mudflap » Wed May 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Sam,

Continue to enjoy your posts, as always.

I especially like your rear lighting upgrades. Did a similar modification on my CCKW awhile back, as the stock double connection system used on the tail lamps is just not really a robust design (especially as it tends to be in line with stuff coming off the rear tires). The addition of a conventional bulb and socket configuration is much more flexible in terms of bulb selection, and is also much more reliable.

Pardon my 969 ignorance, but I have a question on the steering. Did the Diamond Ts use a recirculating ball type steering gearbox? Or was there actually truth to that old ad that claimed if it steered like a truck it wasn't a GMC ? Just curious...

Lastly, and you are probably already aware of this, once you get the desired caster angle dialed in, there are angle shims available for just this application..

Here is one place that sells them...

http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/TR ... c_316.html

Keep up the good work!!

Best Regards,

Bob

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:14 am

Hi Bob,
thanks for the comments. Glad you like the lights.

The 969 uses a steering box design similar to the MB/GPW jeeps, ie. sector shaft pins into a worm shaft, as does the M1A1 heavy wrecker, Studebaker US6 and FWD HAR1 that I know of. See the pictures on p.13 and p.15 (glad I did that contents list in the first post!). I am considering trying some 200+weight industrial gear oil in it to see how well it performs/leaks! I think that it steers surprisingly well, doesn't wander and is easy at hand at even moderate speed. Was the ad paid for by GMC?

Regarding the shims, I knew someone made them and that was something to pursue once I had it all 'dialed in'. Now you have given me a head start, thanks heaps.

Have a nice day.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

40 Chevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by 40 Chevy » Thu May 03, 2018 2:32 am

Sam;

I use PENRITE brand steering box lubricant, 600 w, self leveling.

https://www.classic-oils.net/Penrite-Se ... g-Box-Lube

John G
1940 G4112
1942 G509 969A
1942 G116 series 2
1944 G116 series 5
1942 Sterling HC 165 tractor
1944 Autocar U7144T

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Thu May 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Sam,
I just uploaded this image from my computer to my "Off Topic" album on www.surfacezero.com/g503/

Have you tried to contact blackdog about the problem? memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2280
Roy

mudflap

Post by mudflap » Thu May 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Sam,

OK.. Thx. Looks like the 969 used a Ross unit (who BTW, still make steering systems today, I believe).

As for the GMC "not steering like a truck", I have seen the phrase in some of their advertising from the 40's:

5-3-2018 11-03-48 PM.jpg
5-3-2018 11-03-48 PM.jpg (117.66 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
5-3-2018 11-08-30 PM.jpg
5-3-2018 11-08-30 PM.jpg (24.2 KiB) Viewed 2568 times

Looks like the GMC marketing department was using the Saginaw recirculating ball steering gear as (what we would call today) "a market differentiator" . :)

The steering effort on the CCKW does seem, to me at least, pretty light. However, any other tuck I have ever driven of this size was newer, and had power assist, so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Take Care,

Bob

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Hello fellow MVers,

Gerrykan,
I have PMed Blackdog, but not received a reply in a week. My albums remain disabled. :?

Bob,
Thought so, GMC says GMC steers like a car!!!
When I finish adjusting my steering, I'll comment on how well it works.

I have been busy, things are progressing.

I long time ago I managed to buy a pair of WW2 jerrycan brackets which I have now cleaned, painted, used as a template to drill the mounting holes. Yes, the rear bracket hangs out over the end of the side step a good distance . . .

. . . and fitted new straps using bifurcated rivets.

To fit a bifurcated rivet, they are just hammered through the material, usually leather or fabric (not metal!!), into a timber block . . .

. . . , fitted a washer, spread the points with a cold chisel . . .

. . . and hammer it down so it is snug. As with the rivets I know about, hitting them too hard will actually make them loose strength. Then bolted the brackets down and fitted a couple of random jerrycans to see that it worked properly. Success! One more job done.

From driving the Glorifier, several problems have come to light. One was the clutch pedal scraping on its' escutcheon. Getting this escutcheon right gave me lots of trouble last year and I see it as a poorly designed part of the truck.

Pulling the pedal to reshape it would require removing the gearbox from the chassis . . . that ain't gunna happen.
Pulling the escutcheon is also a huge job, not my 1st (10th/20th/200th?) choice. It took a bit of thinking to devise how to enlarge the hole neatly, without too much mess and reasonably quickly with the pedal, escutcheon and felt pad in place.

Drill . . .

. . . and die grind it.

Worked great, much easier to use now.

I have reached a major point in this rebuild, starting on the cranes. Yes, the truck itself is almost finished!
I intend to complete the cranes before fitting them to the chassis. Once fitted, the Glorifier will no longer fit in my workshop, it will have to go in a parking bay under my home. I have yet to finish preparing that spot for permanent use.

Enjoy.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Marty, So Cal,

PM sent.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi all,

Here are a few pictures that I missed some time ago.

This is patching the front edge of the passenger side front mudguard. Firstly, replacing the rebated section . . .

. . . then fitting a patch over the adjacent part which goes on the rebate.

'Christmas' and Mal hard at it, fitting the bolts to secure the cabin in place.

And preparing the doors for paint, . . . that was a long time ago!!

Enjoy.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”