WHY OWN A CCKW?

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: WHY OWN A CCKW?

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 pm

Am glad I returned the CCKW back to its' original closed cab for several reasons, it just looks right to me and I can see down over the front of the hood, The Open Cab does not allow that unless you are 6'-5". The hood was purposely designed with a down slope for visibility, the Open Cab took the good view away. Thirdly, with the closed cab windows rolled up, I have not had a varmints nest in the cab since swapping the cab 10 years ago. And fourth, I can lock the cab doors to keep the little and big kids out.
Only drawback to the closed cab is it gets hot in there during the summer.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 pm

A couple of things I noticed about the open cab was the steering wheel was too close to the dash and with age kicking your legs up over the door opening was a real pain,in the hips,among other things. As for the temp in the cab that front window opened up with the side windows down really gets the air moving!
M-2-A-1 White half-track, 41 CCKW SWB (yard truck), hoping to start working on my G-506 open cab.

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by mudflap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:39 pm

Definitely like the classic looks of the closed cab. Unfortunately, this body style was too tall to fit through the garage door - unlike the soft top with its folding windshield...

As I might have mentioned before, I'm 6' '3" so I have no trouble with visibility. The proportions of the cab are actually very comfortable for me. Getting in is relatively easy, but getting out is a little more difficult. With the fuel can holders on the running boards, you pretty much have to "back out" .

Plus, like any convertible, its nice to go for a drive and feel the wind blowing through your hair (what little I have left, that is) :wink:

Best Regards...

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:13 pm

According to Ordnance engineering history, the CCKW Closed Cab was designed with a sloping hood in order to allow the driver more visibility. All that was lost when the CCKW went to the open cab. I had to sit on a rectangular shape seat cushion from an APC in order to see over the steering wheel.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:12 pm

It would be nice to have the extra money to build a show truck,but I don't so my old girl has to earn her living,this time it was dragging home a 12X50 mobile home,I only had to move it a mile and a half and the movers wanted $500,and every one told me it would be too much for just a dually,so I sliced off the rear 2 feet of the M series 12 foot bed and bolted a piece of 6 inch angle iron to pre existing holes in the bumperettes welded a receiver hitch tube to that,I got my neighbor who happens to be a local cop to flag for me,there was a lot more tongue weight then I thought but it got the job done!
ImageImage
M-2-A-1 White half-track, 41 CCKW SWB (yard truck), hoping to start working on my G-506 open cab.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 pm

And I am not the only CCKW owner on this site. Don't be bashful, show off your CCKW. :wink:

Dr Deuce
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Dr Deuce » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:15 am

Ben mentioned that with the closed cab he can lock the doors. I can too with my 43 CCKW, BUT sometimes at shows or displays when I have the doors locked people want to see inside and get pulling on the handles so hard that I think that they might bend something inside and lock me out!

What I do now is remove the outside door handles. Put one on the floor and one just inside the rear of the cargo body. No worries now and anyone with a closed cab can do this!
Stephen Keith AKA Dr Deuce
www.ww2movievehicles,com

9 CCKWs 6x6

7 Chevys 4x4

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 am

I'll post a pic of one version of the locking handle features with 360 degree free wheeling when locked.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:07 am

Should you choose to restore a CCKW, it is best to perform all the PM required from bumper in the manual, (and) that means overhauling everything, engine, suspension, drive train) . The paint and cosmetics will then be the icing on the cake and your truck will be ready for the fun part of MV ownership with a minimum of headaches.
There are quite a few CCKW owners on G503 who are eager to share knowledge that will result in a nice CCKW to enjoy.

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:07 am

I must be the only person on here that actually still uses their CCKW! The guy that gave me the trailer last summer gave me another a couple of months ago,this one was actually really nice inside,they were living it and had to have it moved so they could start building a house on the lot, so once again the old girl got used hard,this trailer had a lot more tongue weight then the last one,but she moved it with no problems,once I got it down to my place I used the M-2 half-track to set it because the sand is so soft even a 6X6 has trouble,but the half-track has never failed me!ImageImage

Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:42 am

As an aside, nice vintage Z-car on the right

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Cal.Bar

Post by Cal.Bar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:48 pm

I would very much like to own/preserve a CCKW , and in my research to buy one have observed certain interesting issues with owning them.

First, they are CHEAP as MV's go. Usually well below the cost of even a jeep. Most well restored jeeps start at 15-20K. I have seen CCKW's as low as $10K (even reasonably restored).

This seems so for a few reasons:
1. There are relatively few people with the ROOM to store one of these monsters! At nearly 9 feet tall and 22 feet long - it WILL NOT fit in most suburban garages or even most suburban driveways. In fact, from a collecting stand point, it is easier to store an M8 Greyhound or M20, or even a Bren Gun carrier. You can park TWO jeeps in the space of one CCKW
2. (at least here in CA) you need a class B commercial license to drive one on the street.
3. and, as mentioned before, everything connected with them is BIG. Bigger parts, bigger tools etc.

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm

In Arizona you have to license them as commercial vehicles,no antique or horseless carriage plates allowed,I checked when I was going to build a 45 open cab a while ago and annual registration would have been over $500!
As well as all the stuff mentioned above,luckily none of those problems apply to me! Definitely not a good city vehicle!

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:36 pm

I stored my Open Cab SWB CCKW W/Wn with the windshield folded plus my MB, M-38A1 and PE-95 in a 2 Car Garage with 9X7 doors.
And they all ran.

Cal.Bar

Post by Cal.Bar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Ben Dover wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:36 pm
I stored my Open Cab SWB CCKW W/Wn with the windshield folded plus my MB, M-38A1 and PE-95 in a 2 Car Garage with 9X7 doors.
And they all ran.
Nice! But most residential garage doors (here in CA) are only 8" tall, and nowhere near 22 feet long.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”