I made a video on vinegar rust removal using genuine GI bolts and nuts!

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
gentrysgarage
Sergeant Major of the Gee

I made a video on vinegar rust removal using genuine GI bolts and nuts!

Post by gentrysgarage » Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 pm

I made a video showing rust removal the easy way using vinegar, and I thought you guys might like it...no genuine 1952 GMC M135 bolts and nuts were hurt in making this video!

https://youtu.be/kKwAKA-vmjA

Please like and subscribe!
Proud caretaker of U.S.A. truck 3219442-S 1943 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine 1 1/2 4x4

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: I made a video on vinegar rust removal using genuine GI bolts and nuts!

Post by forestry4evr » Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 am

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiment. Just for fun, I have also toyed with various "alchemy" style alternatives to wire wheel and sand blasting rust removal alternatives. Have you ever tried molasses? How about electrolysis? I find all of the chemical type rust removal methods (including vinegar) help to make more efficient use of time.
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

gentrysgarage

Post by gentrysgarage » Sun May 06, 2018 7:21 am

forestry4evr wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 am
Thanks for taking the time to post your experiment. Just for fun, I have also toyed with various "alchemy" style alternatives to wire wheel and sand blasting rust removal alternatives. Have you ever tried molasses? How about electrolysis? I find all of the chemical type rust removal methods (including vinegar) help to make more efficient use of time.
Hi Paul,
Looked into both of them and here's what I found:
The main reason I ruled out molasses was the STENCH (as it ferments) (yes the capitalized, italicized and bolded letters were added for extra emphasis! LOL!!!) and rat attracting nature if I lived on a large plot of land where I could have placed it far from my house, I might have tried it...always looking for the better quicker tool!
With electrolysis, it was mostly the dangerous off-gassing (hydrogren..remember the Hindenberg) and the possible loss of a battery charger if someone (namely me) tripped on the cord. Lots of people use it and if I do something as big or bigger than a door, I might look deeper it as it, just remember not to use or do any stainless or chrome parts, these will yield toxic Chromium that will poison you and the groundwater.
Vinegar is somewhat slow but was the safest, which is why I chose it.

Good question and suggestions!

Thad
Proud caretaker of U.S.A. truck 3219442-S 1943 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine 1 1/2 4x4

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon May 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks for the info...
I've never tried using Vinegar or Molasses to remove rust from bolts, But I have used Citric acid to remove Zinc plating, It works really well.
As far as removing rust from bolts goes, IMO, you can't beat the old tried and true screen Collinder in the blasting cabinet technique.
IMG_2503-1.jpg
IMG_2503-1.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Kelley

gentrysgarage

Post by gentrysgarage » Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 am

kelley wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:40 pm
Thanks for the info...
I've never tried using Vinegar or Molasses to remove rust from bolts, But I have used Citric acid to remove Zinc plating, It works really well.
As far as removing rust from bolts goes, IMO, you can't beat the old tried and true screen Collinder in the blasting cabinet technique.
IMG_2503-1.jpg
LOL yes it does, but after spending days squinting into a dusty blasting window and inhaling silicon dust (pre Osha days!), I much prefer my method...though it would be great to combine the 2. Vinegar first glass beading second!

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”