G506 steering shimmy

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
tfscobie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

G506 steering shimmy

Post by tfscobie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Got a 42 G7107 that has a noticeable shimmy in the font end starting at about 28 to 30 mph. (And no, I have not driven it any faster than that, I ain't crazy :lol: )

I have checked the steering box, tie rods, wheels, tires, toe-in settings and next on my list are the ball joints and king pins. Am I missing anything?

Any help would be much appreciated.
T.F. Scobie
B/1/117/30

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: G506 steering shimmy

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Try adjusting tire pressure and swapping wheels. Check Drag Link play, If that does not eliminate the shimmy, be prepared to give the truck a complete steering knuckle service with the bushings and bolts that go to the Tie Rod.
Very few surplus MV's had any attention to the steering knuckles after the military. The wear is normal and scheduled procedure would eliminate the excess clearances that causes problems. Do not take any short cuts, it has to come apart.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:42 pm

I have extensive knowledge of the rebuilding process of Chevy and Jimmy front axles. To start, my suggestion is to obtain the correct Technical Maintenance Manual for your truck. In it you will find instructions on how to properly rebuild it. It is not difficult, but doing it correctly is paramount. I would also suggest replacing the upper and lower King Pin Bearings, Shim Packs, Inner Splash Seals, Knuckle Seals and Hub seals.The shims are installed under the K.P. caps to total of .045", top and bottom each and there is a specification of 28 lbs. of pull to turn the hub BEFORE the knuckle seals are installed.
As the K.P. Bearings wore and became sloppy, the "yesteryear" mechanics would remove shims to tighten them up. Good King Pin Bearings will keep your truck from experiencing that horrible speed wobble. There are probably only one or two shims left and the bearings are not serviceable any more, hence your wobble. Check yours to find out how many are left under each cap. I have found that after a truck has lived 70 + years of life, it is time for an entire rebuild. You can do it and I'd be happy to help. I know where to find the correct seals and bearings. NO CHARGE, just for the fun of the hobby. :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

tfscobie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by tfscobie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks guys! :D I will let you know how it goes.
T.F. Scobie
B/1/117/30

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”