My new G506 with questions

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
gentrysgarage
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: My new G506 with questions

Post by gentrysgarage » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 am

It is a GM rear end, I think you would like the high range better than a stock rear. I would leave it and enjoy it. That said I would still locate a stock rear if you ever go to sell it. It would be nice (and they might) to change the rear hubs out for 6 lug instead of the 10 lug.
Proud caretaker of U.S.A. truck 3219442-S 1943 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine 1 1/2 4x4

bantamtrailer
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by bantamtrailer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:49 am

Thank you, any idea of the make and model of the rear end? Needing wheel cylinders.

gentrysgarage

Post by gentrysgarage » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Your best place to ask about your axle is stovebolt.com. The numbers on the top are the ratios..I couldn't read them and not as familiar with them like the guys on stovebolt. Your axle is 1st series mechanical shift

Your wheel cylinder should have a part number cast on it. I would google search the number and some cross part number should come up. I would not be surprised if you found it to be a 15306 1 3/8 cylinder (Rock Auto had the best price on these last week when I got 4!)

If I am reading my book right the bearings are the same for the Eaton axles to 1962/63. I think it is worth a gamble to change the drums and spindles out for the 6 lug.
Proud caretaker of U.S.A. truck 3219442-S 1943 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine 1 1/2 4x4

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:15 am

Hello new guy,

Nice looking early Chevy. I have one that is very close in production to yours. There are numerous subtle differences in the early YP G4112 than the later production G506 trucks. The early versions have many more "off the shelf" civilian parts than the ZP and N series trucks. Although not original, I would be inclined to stay with the GMC 270. It is still period correct, and it will provide more power. Your 2 speed rear axle will create a couple of issues that are difficult to overcome. First, the ratios are different than the front axle so you cant really use the four wheel drive component of the truck without causing damage. Secondly, you will need to carry 2 spare tires as your lug nut pattern is different. Be patient, although parts are not abundant for these old trucks, they do surface. Stay on the hunt.

Years ago, I started a thread on my 1941 G4112 rebuild and I also have a thread comparing differences of the G4112 and the G506 trucks. Use the search function on this site to find them as they contain loads of good pictures that will most likely be of interest to you.

Good luck with your project, it looks like a great start. These old lumbering beasts are great fun to tinker with and drive the back roads.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

bantamtrailer
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by bantamtrailer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks Paul, I plan to swap back to the original rear as time allows, in the meantime going to work on some other things.

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”