Value of Running CJ2A engines?

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Value of Running CJ2A engines?

Post by cjpryor » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:30 pm

I have two extra engines from a WWII GPW project I have been slowly working on over the years. I believe one is actually a CJ3A engine but of course can be used in a CJ2A. I no longer need them because I found a nice WWII engine to use.

I am looking for an idea of their values. Once I establish asking prices I will post them in the for sale forum. I am building a web page for them here: http://www.nmcollectorsoftware.com/CJ2a ... l_Engines/

Thanks,

Clay

p.s., I am open to trades for WWII jeep parts. Right now I need a back seat, front seat cushions, and a top. I am running my own wires for now but could also use an original style wiring harness.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Value of Running CJ2A engines?

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I have trouble giving them away. But someday they will be valuable. Pretty much have to have a local demand because shipping costs more than the value, at least here.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:35 pm

dpcd67 wrote:I have trouble giving them away. But someday they will be valuable. Pretty much have to have a local demand because shipping costs more than the value, at least here.
That's what I was afraid of. I hate to part them out but the parts are worth something on ebay!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Don't give up hope yet; there is that one guy out there who needs it; just have to find him. Definitely don't scrap them; in 5 or ten years you will want one. I have seen them sell on that big auction site.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:24 pm

dpcd67 wrote:Don't give up hope yet; there is that one guy out there who needs it; just have to find him. Definitely don't scrap them; in 5 or ten years you will want one. I have seen them sell on that big auction site.
Ha, ha, good point. 10 years ago I had a '48 CJ2A that had been converted to a Buick V6 that was original other than that. I could have used one of these back then.

:)

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bruce W » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm just a-settin' here, waiting for you to decide on a price. Do you have any idea what you want for them? Do you want an offer? BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Bruce W wrote:I'm just a-settin' here, waiting for you to decide on a price. Do you have any idea what you want for them? Do you want an offer? BW
Nobody has helped me figure out what they are worth so I do not know a reasonable asking price. I could add up what I might be able to sell the parts for on eBay but I hate to part out good engines.

Sure, I will consider offers. I have test started both of them (while circulating warm water from my water heater through them) but have not had a chance to videotape them running yet. Hopefully this weekend I will do that.

Thanks. :)

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm

cjpryor wrote:
Bruce W wrote:I'm just a-settin' here, waiting for you to decide on a price. Do you have any idea what you want for them? Do you want an offer? BW
Nobody has helped me figure out what they are worth so I do not know a reasonable asking price. I could add up what I might be able to sell the parts for on eBay but I hate to part out good engines.

Sure, I will consider offers. I have test started both of them (while circulating warm water from my water heater through them) but have not had a chance to videotape them running yet. Hopefully this weekend I will do that.

Oh, I am in Albuquerque New Mexico.

gunslinger
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by gunslinger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:08 am

Not so very long a go, I bought a "good" Long Block, paid $400 for it. Found out it wasn't so good and had to bore it out to .06 to make it right. At the same time I looked at a clean running engine mounted to a welding unit, price on that was $1200.00. Guy couldn't validate the re-build so I walked. I would think if you can prove the re-build with receipts you should be in the $700 -$900 range, depending on what it comes with, carb, gen,...

You might consider posting it on the CJ2A and CJ3A just to see what responses you get. PS those guys love pictures.

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:49 am

gunslinger wrote:Not so very long a go, I bought a "good" Long Block, paid $400 for it. Found out it wasn't so good and had to bore it out to .06 to make it right. At the same time I looked at a clean running engine mounted to a welding unit, price on that was $1200.00. Guy couldn't validate the re-build so I walked. I would think if you can prove the re-build with receipts you should be in the $700 -$900 range, depending on what it comes with, carb, gen,...

You might consider posting it on the CJ2A and CJ3A just to see what responses you get. PS those guys love pictures.
Thanks.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:34 am

There is a lot to consider, beside what you have.
There was a time when the old small block Chevy V-8 engines were so numerous, you would think the would never run out. They are getting scares.
I have a small block Chevy V-8 block with out side engine mounts. Mid to late 50's. Don't know what that is worth either, but they are more scares. I am sitting on it.
The problem now. The people that know what I am talking about are disappearing. A lot of the younger folks don't know what I am talking about and don't care.
Problem. When is the right time to sell, if I decide to.
L-134 engines are in the same category. Plenty around now, but what about the future and when we get there, will anybody care.
One more finer point of bartering. You can always come down in price, but not likely you can go up.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:36 am

Wolfman wrote:There is a lot to consider, beside what you have.
There was a time when the old small block Chevy V-8 engines were so numerous, you would think the would never run out. They are getting scares.
I have a small block Chevy V-8 block with out side engine mounts. Mid to late 50's. Don't know what that is worth either, but they are more scares. I am sitting on it.
The problem now. The people that know what I am talking about are disappearing. A lot of the younger folks don't know what I am talking about and don't care.
Problem. When is the right time to sell, if I decide to.
L-134 engines are in the same category. Plenty around now, but what about the future and when we get there, will anybody care.
One more finer point of bartering. You can always come down in price, but not likely you can go up.

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:14 pm

cjpryor wrote:I have two extra engines from a WWII GPW project I have been slowly working on over the years. I believe one is actually a CJ3A engine but of course can be used in a CJ2A. I no longer need them because I found a nice WWII engine to use.

I am looking for an idea of their values. Once I establish asking prices I will post them in the for sale forum. I am building a web page for them here: http://www.nmcollectorsoftware.com/CJ2a ... l_Engines/

Thanks,

Clay

p.s., I am open to trades for WWII jeep parts. Right now I need a back seat, front seat cushions, and a top. I am running my own wires for now but could also use an original style wiring harness.
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I ended up selling them today for about what I had in them which is good enough for me. :)

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”