gauge install instructions

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: gauge install instructions

Post by Wolfman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 am

Were there any 12 volt positive ground IH trucks ??
Not that I remember. But don't etch that in stone ! If there were, it was before alternators. Only + ground, 12 volt systems I have run across were older John Deere tractors, and they had generators. When alternators came along, everything went to 12 volt positive ground.
I know. Somebody is going to drag out some exception. I am listening !
Back a few post, Peter said the third post is a ground, like the flat spade lug.
Why two ground lugs ???
Personally, I don't know.
I saw from your pictures, the third post in question appears to be in an insulated board, isolating it from ground. That makes me think It either supports the innards, inside of the gauge and should not be grounded, OR, it is a ground and was used to be sure the gauge had a good ground, not relying on the case ground to function correctly. But then, why have a case ground ?? There is no light.
What to do ??
I would suggest connecting the gauge with nothing on the third post and see what happens. If the gauge works, don't connect anything to post #3.
If you don't get any results, touch a grounded test light to the third post "briefly" and see if the gauge comes to life. The test light instead of a jumper wire will give a little safety margin.
If the gauge starts to function normally, when post #3 is grounded, it is a ground.
If you get sparks and hopefully not smoke, discontinue the test.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”