Bubba brigade

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Bubba brigade

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri May 04, 2018 3:09 am

Guys, please excuse my ignorance, living over here in England, so i do not know this, but what is the Bubba Brigade ?

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Bubba brigade

Post by chibobber » Fri May 04, 2018 5:43 am

A Bubba is a good old boy who can cobble together almost anything,usually in a crude or incorrect fashion.Also sometimes referred to as a shade tree mechanic.(picture a car under a tree with a chain hanging from a branch to pull the engine) :shock:

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri May 04, 2018 7:46 am

Also almost 100% used to identify really screwy modifications done by "Bubba" to thing which either repurposed or kept them working, to which a collector now needs to 'unmodify' or 'de-bubbatize' and in some cases merely spend a few $$ for the correct part, or in worst cases strip what's left for possible parts recovery due to excessive destructive modification.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 am

From what I understand, Paddy in the UK is the close cousin of Bubba in the states!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri May 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks Guys, now i know, i am slowly getting Americanized. :D

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Sat May 05, 2018 2:11 am

Good morning Mark, yes! we will have you driving on the correct side of the road in no time!!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sat May 05, 2018 3:38 am

Bubbas can also be identified by common phrases, such as "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" or "Manual? Why would I need a manual? If I can't fix it with baling wire and duct tape, it can't be fixed!". Also note, that with the popularity of inexpensive MIG welders, the use of duct tape and baling wire is being superseded by large, somewhat ornamental, if not downright artistic, ascending blobs of molten metal, known as Bubba Welds (formerly known as Bubble Gum Welds).
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sat May 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Cheers Frank, if i drove on your side of the road, i dont think the police or my insurance company would be too happy. Oh ! i sometimes wear an American flag bandana, so im getting there.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun May 06, 2018 6:51 am

Farmers and Bubba have to be closely related. They both do the same dumb things, although most likely for different reasons.
Bubba is usually cheap or broke. He either don't have the money to fix something right or to cheap to let go of the cash. Or he might just think it is " Cool !! "
Farmers. They have to modes. Off season and planting or harvest season. Both are insane. Panic time. When something breaks, do what ever it takes to get it going. Fix it right later.
One of the worst things God ever did was give Bubba or Farmers a welder !!!
Example. Had a farmer that had a splined wheel hub on a rear axle get loose on his planting tractor. In the middle of planting season. His fix. He welded the hub to the axle. :shock:
It worked and he ran it that way for several seasons.
Axle oil seal finally went out and he brought it to me to fix. I saved the axle housing.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Sun May 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Mike(Wolfman),
You farmer story reminds me of a similar one.

In the 1980's a guy here purchased a 1970 455 GS Buick* from a rural type guy.
He pulled the motor to freshen up the internals and found the vibration dampener welded to the crankshaft.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Gran_Sport
Roy

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon May 07, 2018 4:45 am

Had a 1st Lt. in my unit at Ft. Hood that had one of those. Really nice car. Bought it at a PX in Vietnam. Don't know who was behind the program but there were booths at the PXs where you could order any car you wanted and have it drop shipped to a local dealer near your home town. It would be waiting for you when you got home. Had some really good prices too.
Can only imagine why someone would weld a vibration damper to the crankshaft. ???
Had a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT when I got home. 340. 4 spd. Going on a date one evening and the car was running terrible. Dual point distributor and the points messed up. Common problem with those. Best way to deal with those was to pull the distributor. It was at the back of the engine. I did, and when putting it back, I dropped the nut that holds the distributor wire on the coil. Did not see it and in a bit of a hurry. Soldering iron was laying on the work bench, so, I just soldered the wire onto the coil stud. I was motivated and in a hurry !
Years later, I sold the car to a neighbor. He still has it. Right after I sold it to him, he came down, wondering why I did that. I explained it to him. I was in a hurry. No time to look for a dumb nut.
The rest of the story, I ended up marrying the date. Now we are divorced.
Don't know where she is, but I know where the car is ! 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”