Mounting tire pump??

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
S/SGT PRG
G-Private
G-Private

Mounting tire pump??

Post by S/SGT PRG » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 am

I just got a tire pump for my 44 GPW but not sure exactly how it should be mounted under the rear seat. Does anyone have a photo that shows proper way to mount it?? Brackets are being sold on e-bay but no mounting info & I can' seem to find any info anywhere. Please help if you can, Thanks :?

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Re: Mounting tire pump??

Post by GI. » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:25 am

This one's on a 1943 GPW. Some part's are missing on the hose, air nozzle, chain.
67 M-151A1

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Noera Circle N Tire Pump J. Bizal.jpg
Noera Circle N Tire Pump J. Bizal.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 718 times
With the correct length hose on the pump and a nozzle on it, you thread it around the handle and then back to the foot bracket. You unscrew the nozzle, push it through the conveniently placed HOLE in the bracket and screw it back into the fitting on the end of the hose. That is what that "ear" on the foot bracket is for.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:31 am

Chuck's hose is the correct way to go, I'm still looking. :(
Look's like he also has the correct eng. hand crank behind the seat. :wink:
If you don't have the mounting brackets, their are some on ebay now.
67 M-151A1

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 am

G.I.
I have restored another pump using Ron's hose set up because I had an original hose with nozzle on it. All I used from Ron's hose was the hose itself and I kept the BRASS fitting on the pump foot, the BRASS tire valve fitting and the STEEL clamps...and the sliding steel nozzle/chain assembly.

There are some slight differences between the nozzles from pump mfger to pump mfger which have been documented in Tool Forum posts and some of the actual nozzles are steel and some are BRASS.

I bought a pretty trashed out pump that would not pump, with a chipped wooden handle and a ratty hose on it at Tower Park once just because all those parts I mentioned above were intact. The repop versions use a zinc or chrome set of nozzle/fittings you can spot a mile away...if that is of consideration.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 am

Chuck,
Thank's for that info. I am looking for an org. used air nozzle and chain. found one but it got away, still looking, got any idea's where I should look ?
67 M-151A1

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:47 pm

I'll keep an eye peeled at the MVCC meet at Petaluma in three weeks.

I cheated to get mine...I had to buy a complete second pump that was pretty ratty to get the "fittings" I needed for the one I have on my jeep. I don't have a Dalton, so I went with a Circle N pump. The hose on the pump I found needed cleaning and some ArmorAll to brighten it up. I wire wheeled the nozzle and brass fittings and just taped off and cleaned the steel clamps with steel wool by hand. Then assembled it all onto the Circle N pump. The "spare" I bought to get the hose and nozzle, etc. off of went to another jeeper who ordered one of Ron's setups and everyone was happy.

That pic I posted is John Bizel's jeep, not mine but I have the same set up since I have only two rear seats and both have the pump mounts so I hung one on the seat in GPW-17963.

By the way, did you notice that the Engine Crank behind the seat in that photo is mounted incorrectly?
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

Fernmelder
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fernmelder » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:39 pm

And on a (perhaps) similar note, is the wing nut for the tire pump identical to that of the starter crank bracket on the rear wall ?

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:47 pm
I'll keep an eye peeled at the MVCC meet at Petaluma in three weeks.

I cheated to get mine...I had to buy a complete second pump that was pretty ratty to get the "fittings" I needed for the one I have on my jeep. I don't have a Dalton, so I went with a Circle N pump. The hose on the pump I found needed cleaning and some ArmorAll to brighten it up. I wire wheeled the nozzle and brass fittings and just taped off and cleaned the steel clamps with steel wool by hand. Then assembled it all onto the Circle N pump. The "spare" I bought to get the hose and nozzle, etc. off of went to another jeeper who ordered one of Ron's setups and everyone was happy.

That pic I posted is John Bizel's jeep, not mine but I have the same set up since I have only two rear seats and both have the pump mounts so I hung one on the seat in GPW-17963.

By the way, did you notice that the Engine Crank behind the seat in that photo is mounted incorrectly?
I did not notice, but did see what look's like a WW-2 eng. crank. I really like those kind of accy's. they just add to the jeep, I have been working on a jeep tool kit, it's almost complete, not 100% correct, but close.
67 M-151A1

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 am

G.I.

It took me a few years to put together a good GPW tool kit. Not only that, I started long enough ago that there was even less information on what mfgers, finishes, markings were correct for a factory GPW tool kit. The end result is you put together what is actually more of a "motorpool" tool kit and gradually replace the place holders with the Real McCoy as you can find and purchase them. If you can find some decent placeholders in the mean time at flea-markets or jeep meets for a heap price, that is a way you can at least HAVE a tool kit and then fine-tune it as your wallet and opportunity presents itself.

I get a feeling from the pics of your jeep that you would want to get a "correct" kit but that is not easy or cheap and is time-consuming unless you watch the Tool Forum as several posters there do offer up items at decent prices.

I think it is not that hard to spend between $1,000 and $1,500 on EVERYTHING considered a "tool" depending on condition, etc. Sometimes buying a PARTIAL kit as a "starter" is a good idea if you are sure that the kit has CORRECT items for your jeep based on it's Contract/DOD.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Chuck,
Here's my starter tool kit, of course the grease gun is wrong, but I got it for $10, nos, I,m still looking fore the correct one. I have a jack with the square bottom [not correct] and the wrong handle, do have the correct ford eng. crank handle, repo. tool fold. still looking, I know I have a long way to go. :wink:
67 M-151A1

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”