Hello from So. Cal. GPW project serial #GPW 14359

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Hello from So. Cal. GPW project serial #GPW 14359

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:55 am

Hello everyone I'm the new guy here.

I have been lucky enough to be able to get my hands on a MB frame that hasn't been left out in the open to rust and fall apart. a friend of mine has a jeep shop here and has some storage units with tons of stuff for a GPW and MB jeeps. lots of NOS stuff as well. he has a frame, body and axles that I will be buying from him after the new year. the body was BUBBA'd to have a tailgate. the fuel tank area is rusted but overall from what I saw of it the body is in decent shape. both frame and body have been in a storage unit for many years the axles are at his shop.

this will be my second jeep to build. the 54 CJ3b was a blast to work on and I enjoy driving it.

I will not be able to really start this project for a year as I will be heading Texas for one year on active duty.

the photos I do have are of the frame not that good. the rear section has been cut off. and to my knowledge the are to focus on. it does have a round gun mount on the frame. I do have an engine I was going to use for a CJ2A but the frame was toasted and I have wanted to do a WWII jeep for sometime. the engine has been rebuilt and has good paint. it's not the right color but good paint on an engine should suffice.

here are the pictures I do have. I will add many more after I get the frame, body, and axles home.

photos of my engine before I received it.
Last edited by 54WYLLYSJEEP on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Navarre
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Hello from So. Cal. GPW project updates will follow

Post by Navarre » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Hello and good luck with your new project.

Do you know your frame serial number?

Regards
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
Ford GPW 86534 DoD 12-11-42...in progress!
Resto thread: viewtopic.php?f=144&t=198728

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Navarre wrote:Hello and good luck with your new project.

Do you know your frame serial number?

Regards

at this time I do not. I will have that soon though. the front does have the round cross member not the hat section one.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:58 pm

the front does have the round cross member not the hat section one.
Then one could say the frame is a Willys MB not Ford GPW?
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:32 pm

artificer wrote:
the front does have the round cross member not the hat section one.
Then one could say the frame is a Willys MB not Ford GPW?
thanks for the info. I will definitely have more info when I get the frame out of his storage unit. I'm excited to get the frame out.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:02 pm

I do have a couple of questions though is it uncommon to have a circular gun plate on the frame?
of the pictures I have seen I do not recall seeing circular gun plate on any photos on the internet. is this rare?

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by gearhead » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:17 pm

The gun mounting plate is standard on WW2 military jeeps.

Ed S :)
54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi 54,

Welcome to the Gee, ask as many questions as you want, we will try to answer them for you.

Like John says, the frame most likely is of a Willys MB, not a Ford Gpw, but over the last 70 odd years anything could have happened to it. What did you friend with the jeep shop tell you it was? He should know. I have posted a couple of photos of frames, Hopps MB frame in Olive Drab and Zephs GPW fame in red oxide. Hope that was OK guys?

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/10 ... 19_257.jpg

http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/zephe ... 2.jpg.html

You can see the different construction of the frames. MB with open frame and round machine gun mount. GPW with closed in frame and square'ish machine gune mount. The MG mount was standard on jeeps. Zeph's frame is missing its rear crossmember and A frame. There are other differences , front crossmember,shock mounts, battery tray, rear A frame.

I would have a look on some of other people's resto's, to give you an idea.

There are a few G503 members in Texas, , Thidisbogus and StirStick to name a couple. So if you get some R&R, give them a call.

Keep us all posted with your progress.

All the best, Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:12 pm

jeepfinger wrote:Hi 54,

Welcome to the Gee, ask as many questions as you want, we will try to answer them for you.

Like John says, the frame most likely is of a Willys MB, not a Ford Gpw, but over the last 70 odd years anything could have happened to it. What did you friend with the jeep shop tell you it was? He should know. I have posted a couple of photos of frames, Hopps MB frame in Olive Drab and Zephs GPW fame in red oxide. Hope that was OK guys?

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/10 ... 19_257.jpg

http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/zephe ... 2.jpg.html

You can see the different construction of the frames. MB with open frame and round machine gun mount. GPW with closed in frame and square'ish machine gune mount. The MG mount was standard on jeeps. Zeph's frame is missing its rear crossmember and A frame. There are other differences , front crossmember,shock mounts, battery tray, rear A frame.

I would have a look on some of other people's resto's, to give you an idea.

There are a few G503 members in Texas, , Thidisbogus and StirStick to name a couple. So if you get some R&R, give them a call.

Keep us all posted with your progress.

All the best, Dave
was is common to have an open back end frame on the MB's or GPW's ?

as my photo isn't the greatest since it was in the storage unit. from what I can tell is that the rear bumper was cut off along with the angle piece for the rear bumper. as for the V bracket being removed I do not know at this time. I will be able to tell once I get the frame out.

he has a GPW frame and MB frame in his shop that he is hanging onto. both are in real good shape.

he cant really remember what kind of frame it is as the time he and I went to his storage unit it was many years before that he was inside them. in fact we had to go through a lot of keys just to get in the units. now they keys are separated to get back in to them.

guys I appreciate the responses so far. I'm sure I will have many more questions of course. but I will post more pictures after I get the parts home.

looks like I will have to fab the steel plate for the V bracket to the rear bumper. shouldn't be too hard to do as I have seen other photos of people doing the same.

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by gearhead » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:13 pm

jeepdraw.com is your friend!

54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:50 pm

gearhead wrote:jeepdraw.com is your friend!

I have heard of that site. I have been to it a few times over the years and I have read very good things about it as well.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: Hello from So. Cal. MB project updates will follow

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:35 pm

update for you guys. the original frame I was supposed to get was wrecked badly. I was not charged for it and we decided to chop it up because it was badly damaged and was bent in a few places that were not repairable. there was no serial number stamped on the frame. I did find where a tag was on the inside of drivers side frame horn. it was missing. I did keep the crossmember tube and gun mount crossmember.

I do however have in my possession a GPW frame and it has a few "F" marked areas as well. I only took one photo of the F marked shock mount. it was bubba'd a little not too bad though. new frame horns will be needed in the front but frame looks ok and repairable. photos will follow as I upload them and take more.
Serial number appears to be as follows
GPW 14359 X the X is a maybe it's not clear when I look at it.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:40 pm

here is the body in the bed of my truck. I believe I mentioned it looked like they tried to add a tailgate to it. also the majority of the body has bedliner on it. not put on very well I might add in some places. on the cowl it is coming off and the green paint is visible underneath it.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 pm

here is the cowl that has the bed liner paint that is coming off and the original paint underneath.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:19 pm

it appears that the center floorboard was removed for reasons unknown.

fuel tank well doesn't look too bad. some work will be needed.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”