AUTHENTIC DO-DADS THAT MAKE GOOD CONVERSATION

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: AUTHENTIC DO-DADS THAT MAKE GOOD CONVERSATION

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Or bullet hole thru windshield.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:39 pm
What?
No raffia bound Italian wine bottles? No carrier pigeon cage? No bustle basket? No radio? No cigarette lighter in the dash? No bedrolls? No rations?

.....not even ONE token Coke bottle in sight!
WOW! Chuck,..... I did not mean to send you into a "jealous rage" :shock:.
Thank's for reminding me [pigeon cage] to be on the lookout for a chicken in a cage.
I do have a WW-2 Zippo cigarette lighter in the dash.
How do you like my bottle opener on the dash, nice huh ? :lol:
67 M-151A1

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Do-Dads...Do-Dads? Nothing to see here... move along!

:D :D :D
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:19 am

Now those are some nice Do-Dad's, I think people really like to see equip. like that on a Military vech. very nice Mark, you don't see that to often, well done.

A friend of mine has everything on his jeep except an "A" bomb and always draw's the biggest crowds. it's like a traveling class room, they love it.

Chuck, you do have two nice looking jeep's, so don't give up, you'll get there one day. :wink:
67 M-151A1

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:42 am

The "stuff" we pile onto our jeeps is "eye-candy" to some people, usually kids and the un-educated, non-MV crowd who do ooh and aah over things like 50cal. MGs and all kinds of trophy stuff. That is up to the owner what to hang onto it or not to hang onto it. I once saw someone get a pretty good black eye from a 50cal they were not used to being in the way and it certainly does restrict your field of vision. But whatever floats yer boat I guess.

On my keyring I have a WWII dog-tag with my name and phone number on it and a P-38 can-opener. On my personal set of dog-tags I have my trusty hand-operated bottle opener so I don't have to go looking for a jeep if I need one. It cost me a whopping $3.00 including postage. After awhile in the tumbler it came out looking like this one...
WIRE Coke Bottle Opener.jpg
WIRE Coke Bottle Opener.jpg (110.86 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
However, if you really want to impress people, install one of these:
Got Coke, nah...we got BEER.jpg
Got Coke, nah...we got BEER.jpg (30.82 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:42 am
The "stuff" we pile onto our jeeps is "eye-candy" to some people, usually kids and the un-educated,
that was really ignorant sorry. There is nothing wrong with making a historical statement, living history item or a teachable moment about how a vehicle might have been used in the past.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 am

True...but if one only stops short of adding a kitchen sink to the jeep then people seem to think those 100% faithfully restored factory class winners are either missing something or were NOT like "they were supposed to be" back in WWII. The teachable moment regarding most extraneously added on stuff could be displayed on a blanket. "Stuff" just for the sake of having stuff probably misrepresents how 99.9% of jeeps were used so I guses I tend to view overly equipped jeeps as guildng the lily or, just plain overkill...but then that's just my opinion. Yours may veay...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:00 am

Last year, i drove my better half to the supermarket in the jeep. I never got out of it due to various shoppers wanting to talk about it. By the time Jackie had done the shopping, the last of the admirers was just leaving. Moral of the story..... people went away happy, and i got out of the shopping. GREAT... :lol:

alpino
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by alpino » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:31 pm

At the car shows, I keep a couple helmet liners for the kids to put on for fun & photos...
after dozens of grouchy old bastards telling them "don't touch my GTO"
Their moms can be quite nice indeed, with mid-August clothing.
In MT rifles & MGs are still popular
Have US 48 star & S Korean flags on the radio antennas, as my jeeps are Korean War 187th Abn Inf marked
Maps of the AOs of the two 187th jumps, they are on-line, the map shop will print them out
Have sets of LCE, sometimes I wear them
have had some high speed student in uniform, make them study the vehicles, gear, & history
Again Korean War, a Chicom cap, tunic, trumpet with a red banner stating "the east is red" & Soviet M38 carbine
sometimes a US Army camp stove, mess kit, mermites full of cold pop & beer for the best visitors, people I know
at the bigger car shows they put the military vehicles on the edge
we ask "the edge w the trees" which means more room to display equipment, including trailers full of larger supply stuff
the show in West Yellowstone is the most fun, tons of foreign tourists, amazed by the firearms
and always a stand in front of each vehicles with a bit of stats, production, & history
M38 1951 행운의 전쟁 조랑말 "Good Luck War Pony"
GPW 1945 "Chow Hound"
M100 trailer 1951
MVPA #26463
LPCs Leather Personel Carriers 1980-2007 size 13.5 boots
44x carrier pigeons - military vehicles eh

A civilian reporter asked me at a post-Iraq awards ceremony "are purple hearts for enlisted men and bronze stars for officers?"
....Sancta Simplicitas

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:56 am

NOS WW issue night sticks with US on the handle end. Includes rawhide.Had mine since the 40's.. They are stored with my M-1 Gas Alarms.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”