A1 REBUILT STARTER IN REVERSE

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
PVT MacGyver
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

A1 REBUILT STARTER IN REVERSE

Post by PVT MacGyver » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:59 am

I have replaced the brushes on my starter and it is spinning in reverse even after reversing the polarity the starter does not change direction, I am powering the starter by wiring a 12v battery and 12v jumper box in series. I have changed the positive brush positions and set the plate position to maximize starter efficiency but nothing has affected rotation direction. Armature position has not been reversed.
SPC Trimble, 12T/12Y
1967 M151A1 “Y” cut
Jack of All Trades
Building motorcycles is a lot less expensive than old military vehicles… 😬

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: A1 REBUILT STARTER IN REVERSE

Post by markrdje » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:22 pm

try a different power source, like 2 12 volt batteries, or try a different starter or both ways, maybe the bendix is screwed up,
change user name to mark

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Can you verify (with a Volt meter) which cable is being attaching to the Stud on the starter?
If you were close enough I would give you one of the dozen plus takeouts I have in the shed.
V/R W Winget
Carrollton, Va.
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

PVT MacGyver
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by PVT MacGyver » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 pm

W. Winget wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:01 pm
Can you verify (with a Volt meter) which cable is being attaching to the Stud on the starter?
If you were close enough I would give you one of the dozen plus takeouts I have in the shed.
V/R W Winget
Carrollton, Va.
Can you explain what you mean in your first sentence?
SPC Trimble, 12T/12Y
1967 M151A1 “Y” cut
Jack of All Trades

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 am

When you connect a voltmeter to the stud, then to the wire you have been connecting to said stud, (and the other battery wire to the starter casing) what does the voltmeter read? +12. -12. +24. -24 ?(or a derivative of those voltage basics like +11.5, -12.6, +26.4, -22.8, etc.near the ideal 12 and 24 volt levels)
What does the voltmeter read?

Not to be smarmy, we went through a LOT of exchange of information with a previous poster about voltage and sparks, and it was simply that he had grounded the first battery creating +12 into a piece and +24 into the vehicle end creating sparks letting the expensive smoke out of the machine. :D
Way too many posts.... :oops:

Step 1: Whats the Voltmeter read.
V/R W. Winget

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:21 am

This is not a smart $ss question so no offense....but did you reassemble it correctly after changing the brush assemblies? I bought a log splitter several years ago, the guy reassembled his starter and it was running in reverse direction. He had put the brush end cap on 180 degrees out. After pulling off the brush end cap, spinning it 180, it now works great. Just a thought to check.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:29 am

Photo of the finished piece may reveal a lot as well.
V/R W Winget

PVT MacGyver
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by PVT MacGyver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:25 am

Old Dodge Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:21 am
This is not a smart $ss question so no offense....but did you reassemble it correctly after changing the brush assemblies? I bought a log splitter several years ago, the guy reassembled his starter and it was running in reverse direction. He had put the brush end cap on 180 degrees out. After pulling off the brush end cap, spinning it 180, it now works great. Just a thought to check.
Have already turned the cap a variety of directions, 180 degrees included.
SPC Trimble, 12T/12Y
1967 M151A1 “Y” cut
Jack of All Trades

PVT MacGyver
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by PVT MacGyver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:30 am

W. Winget wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 am
When you connect a voltmeter to the stud, then to the wire you have been connecting to said stud, (and the other battery wire to the starter casing) what does the voltmeter read? +12. -12. +24. -24 ?(or a derivative of those voltage basics like +11.5, -12.6, +26.4, -22.8, etc.near the ideal 12 and 24 volt levels)
What does the voltmeter read?

Not to be smarmy, we went through a LOT of exchange of information with a previous poster about voltage and sparks, and it was simply that he had grounded the first battery creating +12 into a piece and +24 into the vehicle end creating sparks letting the expensive smoke out of the machine. :D
Way too many posts.... :oops:

Step 1: Whats the Voltmeter read.
V/R W. Winget
I have not tested it with a volt meter, the starter is being tested off of the vehicle, a 12v jump box and 12v battery wired in series is powering it. Using a negative ground to the starter casing and positive to the stud. I can’t put a volt meter in the starter at the moment as I’ve been working on it at a shop.
SPC Trimble, 12T/12Y
1967 M151A1 “Y” cut
Jack of All Trades

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:44 am

Well if you connected a Hand held Voltmeter positive lead clip to the wire you were going to put on the stud, and then touched the ground lead clip to the stud, and had a ground wire connected from the battery.... the completed circuit should show up as +24 to +28 volts or +11 to +13 volts....the 1st simple test, and if you do not have a test meter....you could not tell me if it read -24 to -28 volts, or -12 to -14 volts. Why I ask....this tells everyone here that you have made a simple voltage test. You have asked why, and showing us the results is the only way people can help troubleshoot what the issue is.

Anyway, did they rewind your starter at a starter/alternator shop? if so they must have connected it up incorrectly internally and the smartest / quickest solution is to take it back to them.

Any poster having stating they have it hooked up correctly but there is a problem...does not go past the 1st test if they want to move on down theline in troubleshooting.

You know how many times computer guys were called on a help lines only to find after extensive questioning that the monitor was not powered on? It's the simplest things you eliminate as the 1st step.
V/R W. Winget

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:48 am

Hey let me ask a different simple question, which way is what you are calling "reverse" if your looking with the pinion end pointed away from you, which way does the gear rotate from the top point of view? Left or Right?
This thing is on a bench correct? Not in the motor/trans.
V/R W Winget

PVT MacGyver
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by PVT MacGyver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Thank you for answering my question folks. I have figured it out. I rotated the cap one bolt hole at a time and after about 15 turns it fixed it. I had taken apart the starter myself but a guy I work with put it back together after I gave him the parts, as he had the tools and I didn't.
SPC Trimble, 12T/12Y
1967 M151A1 “Y” cut
Jack of All Trades

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”