151a2 steering question

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
fred varda
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
151a2 steering question

Post by fred varda » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:04 pm

My 151a2 jeep wanders when driving. wheel bearings good,tie rods good, bolts are all tight. What should I do next? It looks like there is an adjustments screw on the steering box. Are these boxes supposed to be lubed? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Fred

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: 151a2 steering question

Post by markrdje » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Gear oil goes in the steering box, there is an adjustment to it, The TM will tell how to do it.(TM-20??)
I would get the wheel alignment checked, could be low air in a tire?
change user name to mark

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:47 am

Ditto on checking the air first, also don't ignore a 4 wheel alignment, one of the rear wheels may have been knocked out of kilter and your fighting it. No real adjustment there, but they could tell if the bushings were worn, or the arm is bent making it misaligned in the check.
As for the screw, loosen the nut, tighten the screw with a large screw driver till it's (snug) tight, back off about a quarter turn then tighten the lock nut while holding the screw in position, The manual (as recommended above) will give a more descriptive step and possibly torque specs and raising the front wheels during adjustment (doubtful) bottom line the steering wheel should not drag when turned (too tight) and some of the slack will be taken up, but if it's worn out, the screw cannot fix it and replacement parts are needed. (wheel bearings could be a tad too loose for example)
Yes it takes oil, I think 90 weight from memory, some would recommend 600 weight (special lube for Model T axles, not quite grease but really thick oil) if it had a tendancy to leak and not just have a bad seal.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

fred varda
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by fred varda » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks guys
I will try and let you know my progress . You have been most helpful

Many thanks

Fred

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”