Changing to the :Swiss" Ignition module

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Changing to the :Swiss" Ignition module

Post by Bucolic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:22 pm

OK, I gave up on getting my jeep running by myself. I had it towed to a mechanic that I trust, and as it turns out, that trust was well placed. Anyway, on to business. I replaced the ignition module that came with my jeep with a "Swiss" one. My mechanic said that the module was no good. So I visited my parts man and he swapped modules, no problem. I also bought a new distributor cap from him as the one I recently purchased on line developed cracks.
So, here's my question: my parts guy said there's a cam in the distributor that needs to be changed if I install the "Swiss" module. Is that true? I've never read anything about changing a cam in the distributor. Neither had my mechanic. He's installing the new module and distributor cap and MAYBE I'll get my jeep back tomorrow. :?: :?:

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Changing to the :Swiss" Ignition module

Post by muttguru » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:00 am

Bucolic wrote: ....So, here's my question: my parts guy said there's a cam in the distributor that needs to be changed if I install the "Swiss" module. Is that true?
In your case, it's true ! Here's the reason:-
1. The original points-and-condenser setup came with the original cam.
2. When your first solid-state ignition was installed (the Prestolite version), the original cam was removed and a new cam was installed from the Prestolite kit.
3. Now that you are about to install the Swiss Controls kit, the ORIGINAL cam (or a replacement cam) has to be re-installed because the Swiss Controls kit uses the original version of the cam. The Prestolite cam is not compatible.
ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Well maybe the cams weren't swapped when the Prestolite module was installed because it is running with a Swiss module and whatever cam is there.

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Bucolic wrote:Well maybe the cams weren't swapped when the Prestolite module was installed because it is running with a Swiss module and whatever cam is there.
The documentation I have for Prestolite/Swiss Controls says no..... but oddly enough, George from Holland says (on the G838) that the Prestolite cam WILL work with the Swiss Controls module and rotor and George is a pretty good mutt mechanic, so who am I to argue with him? :D
ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:21 pm

And he is a LOT bigger than you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Now for my next question, still related to the Swiss module but not directly. My mechanic couldn't get my jeep running, at first he said the new Swiss module was no good, so I went to my parts guy and got a replacement. He still couldn't get it to run. What he did was split off 12 volts and ran it to the distributor instead of 24 volts. It ran. (He did put a toggle switch in the wire to act in place of the ignition switch on the dash.) So I took it for a test drive and returned to his shop. I paid for the work and drove home in my truck, planning to return as soon as I could get a family member to take me back.
Well, when I did return, the jeep wouldn't start. That's where I'm at and have been for the last 24hrs. I'm waiting to hear from him that things are fixed.

Can anyone shed some light on what happened here?

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:33 am

If I were to bet I would say modules are N G . Especially if they are repros not NOS.
Another member here had new failure so not surprised.
Other than be a little fussy to install because of wire spacing they are bulletproof!
The fact that the mechanc got it to work on 12 volts is interesting but not correct.
Its a 24 volt system.
Failing gettng a NOS module I would go back to points and condenser.
That s straight forward and maintainable.

Hope that helps.
Fil Bonica

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:12 pm

OK, let's suppose for a minute that my mechanic just cannot get the Swiss module to work, with 12volts or 24 and I decided to go back to points and condenser. What do I need to do this and where can I find these parts. I can find points, rotors and condensers no problem, but what do they mount to? There's no plate in the distributor any more.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:45 pm

You need the points mounting plate and the rotor cam for the points. Easiest way to do this is just find a complete distributor. I think there has been a lot done to this distributor and there may be issues with it anyway.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi everyone, I'm back. (To this thread anyway) Got my jeep running, finally. Bought and installed a new points-type distributor and did away with the swiss electronic ignition and the thing runs great.
I do have to contact TNJ Murray though. The coil that came in the new distributor was junk.

vzike
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by vzike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 am

I know this is an old thread, but I received a message from someone who referenced this thread.

Here is my two cents worth.

I have distributors with three types of cams condition. One, has NO Cam. Some have a smooth 4 lobed cam. The last style has 4 sharpely stepped lobes.

The points distributors require a smooth, four lobed cam, which opens and closes the contacts, when the distributor spins. A plastic "finger" on the moving part of the contact arm remains in contact by spring force on the cam. I have many points distributors, and all have smooth lobes.
* If the lobes are missing, the points will never actuate.
* If the lobes have sharp edges, they "finger" will be ripped off, and the points will not actuate.

Prestolite control distributors have a sharply stepped 4 lobed cam. The sensor on the Prestolite control senses the steps in the lobes, and triggers the ignition. It is a simple "ON/OFF' trigger. These require that sharply stepped cam. The smooth one will not work and one without lobes will not work. The original kits that came with the Prestolite control conversion kits, had that replacement top piece with that correct sharply stepped cam on it.

The Swiss controls are like that Honey Badger. It don't care!!! The sensor to actuate the ignition faces up and is away from the cam all together. The ignition is actuated by the gaps in the ROTOR as it passes through the sensors. That is why you must have the correct ROTOR when swapping out from a points of Prestolite distributor. The Swiss control kits contained the ROTOR, but no cam part.
Attachments
IMG_3301.jpg
Swiss control distributors from various engines and surplus houses.
Vin Zike
Army 1968 - 2002 Retired
9th ID VN
'74 - '02 SOCOM

1972 M151A2 Current Project
1998 Encore M151A2 (daily driver)
MVPA #35903
FLMVPA member

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”