Hoodoo MUTT!

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Hypnogator
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Hoodoo MUTT!

Post by Hypnogator » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Finally got my A2 engine back together after having replaced all the valves and valve seats. Went through the arcane process of setting the valve clearance to .015". Put in new plugs for good measure. Took right off, and ran like a champ! No valve chatter whatsoever, and other than some hot-new-metal smells, nothing out of the ordinary. Well, I took SWMBO down to the end of the block to get the mail, then we ran it around in the empty lots (read, desert) behind our house until I got it warmed up. Oil pressure normal, water temperature finally got up to 160 (about where it normally ran in the past). I took it up over a couple of steep hills in 2nd, that I would have had to drop to first in before I had the valve job done, with power to spare. Life was good. :)

For about 10 minutes. :cry:

Then, all of a sudden, it sputtered and died. Like you'd turned off the switch. I let it set for a couple of minutes, then tried starting it again. It sputtered a couple of times, but wouldn't start. Let it set for quite a while, then re-tried. No fire at all.

Wound up getting the truck and towing it home. The only thing I noticed that seemed wrong, was that there was fuel all over the fuel pump. Since I had previously contemplated replacing it when I was having the fuel issues, I had a new one on hand, so today I replaced it. It started right up, ran for, oh, 10 seconds or so, then died again.

I'm beginning to think there is a malevolent force somewhere deep within my MUTT that is intent on keeping me from ever enjoying it again! :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

To recap, it ran fine after I got the carb rebuilt by Brooks, but lost power (due to lack of compression caused by burnt valves). I've replaced virtually everything in the ignition system, so really don't know where to turn next.
I'm afraid I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a pedantic evening at home to a bracing exchange of gunfire in the dark.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Hoodoo MUTT!

Post by Rickf » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:48 am

All the symptoms of a bad coil.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hypnogator
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Hoodoo MUTT!

Post by Hypnogator » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Yup. Changed out fuel filter to be sure, but got no fire with new filter. Pulled a plug and checked it by holding it against the head. No fire at all. Ordered a coil from TMJ Murray that is supposedly a pull-off that they tested good. Hopefully it will last longer than a couple of hundred miles! :roll:
I'm afraid I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a pedantic evening at home to a bracing exchange of gunfire in the dark.

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”