My first Ford Gpw

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: My first Ford Gpw

Post by dfast » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:58 am

Finally floor is done,
I welded full weld from upper side which was not a good idea, because welds were shrink and my floor is not flat anymore. Lesson learned for one inexperienced welder.
It's not so visible in photos but it's there. Machine gun mounting holes were patched, any way holes were not matched with frame. This body were definitely do not belong to the chassis. As I mentioned before jeep was bought in parts so previous owner was combined best parts for his jeep including frame and body mixing.

Here is a picture of het channels, that part went good. At the end I sprayed some "plastobit" anti corrosive protection on down floor and screw up nice looking work. After drying it got better looking, but generally I could skip that.

Jeep was hit on left rear corner, and that was straightened but I was still missing around half inch.

A bit a work, a bit welding and it got much better look,

Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GPW 268625 45' with MB tub
CJ3B 1969 ex Army
Restoration viewtopic.php?f=136&t=240027

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Then I mess up one more thing, I bought some rubber seal, as it said in printed instruction it can be sanded with sand paper.
I used that over the joints just as a additional protection but sanding after was nightmare.

After that one more decision was made, to straight everything as much as possible or use a ton of filler. None was good for me, straighten is so much time consuming and on other hand filler would cover all that imperfections typical for only this body, so I decide to leave as it is. This vehicle was 32 years in army service and should show all that. Additional to that I leave all accessories present on body, footman all over body, and door brackets.
One thin layer of filler was sprayed just to get nice feeling under hand after sanding. Than all accessories were attached before final spraying. At the end I wasn't so impressed, paint was still wet on this photos but probably after installation of all other parts it would got better looking. Hood, grill and fenders will be done in next step, I have to order more paint :-)
I am definitely better mechanics that painter :-)

Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Goes through the old parts I found two light switches, original ignition switch, foot light switch....but something was unusual, junction block was strange design I did not seen that one before.

Any way I will see which one I will use, on next photo is old and new regulator, new one is 24v bought on ebay, old one probably 6v.

Originals vs repro,

Two are Stimsonite, one Saturnus but can not be matched because one Stimsonite is so faded.

That is all for now,

Regards
Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sun May 07, 2017 3:04 am

Hi all,

Small but visible update,

More original parts are primed and assembled;

Blackout lamp cover original one;

Splash guard is also here, recovered, it was quite wrinkled and broken;

Tail lamps, old but still good.

Side belt hooks, originals, I bought some repro side straps, but hooks where different.

Ford hinge, hood was a bit bent but now is acceptable.

Hood, primed;

Pintle hook installed, not wwII but new.

Then OD painting, :)

Spare wheel,

This is attempt of fuel tank cleaning. Because of inner barrier only one part of tank was cleaned. Still, bigger particles of dirt or rust were still inside. Afterwords, fuel outlet was still clogged and drain plug was not possible to unscrew. Anyway fuel tank is still open issue.

Something for motivation during the previews stages of work.

Tail end completed with reflectors;

And then for first time on daily light in a shape of (almost) complete vehicle after almost 40 years, big milestone for me.

There is a lot of work still to go, fuel installation, wiring of all electrical components, dashboard and then fine adjustment of clutch, brakes, tightening of all possible bolts ...

Windscreen is available but still has to be cleaned.

Windscreen has some modification on sides for installation of doors or winter cover. One leg of windscreen is broken but I will try to solve that somehow.

Little one is almost complete and looks happier, he is going to celebrate 72 birthday soon. :D

Regards
Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun May 07, 2017 11:45 am

Its looking good. :D

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Mon May 08, 2017 4:58 pm

dfast,
Have enjoyed watching your restoration while doing my own similar one on an MB.You are correct about warime jeeps compared to work on newer cars...the jeeps are like a fistfight in some ways...liked all of your pictures very much.Best wishes to you in Serbia from Kentucky. :D
Ralph

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 am

D fast, where abouts in Serbia are you from ? My Dad came from there, its a long story though.

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 am

Mark and Ralph,

Thanks for best wishes, I really appreciated. That feels good even if the job is not yet finished. I am waiting the moment to sit in fully functional jeep and enjoy the first day just for me, in easy driving and good weather :D . Hopefully soon. :mrgreen:
Mark, I am from Belgrade but jeep is at my parents place, outside of city. That's why I am limited by time spending there, on some longer weekends and vacations. From other side I have much more space available.
Good to hear that your father is from here, so one more reason to visit us sometimes. :D

Regards
Dfast
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm

I have relatives out there, my Dad came from a village called Gorobelia, just outside a town called Pozega. (not sure if i spelt it right). Dad was a resistance fighter in the war, its an amazing story, but Dad never spoke about it. It was only after he died in 2004 that we found out off a friend of his what a hero he was. He was a better man than what i am. I do intend to return to Serbia one day. Keep up with the good work on your jeep. I have a Slat Grille myself. :D

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 am

Few more top views photos,

Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun May 14, 2017 1:02 am

Something to be proud of Dfast, you have done an amazing job. Is it easy to get parts where you are located ?

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sun May 14, 2017 12:55 pm

There are nos parts available around, but for those who has enough time to search. Much easier is to order them from abroad, in my case mostly from Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

DaveJ
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by DaveJ » Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 am

Beautiful job. Keep it up. Your patience and hard work is paying off. I love seeing these old warhorses being brought back to life.
1944 Willys MB 379904.
P. C. is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sun May 21, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks Dave,

I got wiring harness, fuel filter and fuel tank :)

Next time she would be ready :D
Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi all, some new details are done,

Fuel tank installed but without fasteners (will be added later),

fuel filter installed,

but i didn't succeed to make it working properly. It was leaking on bottom and through the fittings and than after using ptfe tape it was ok until first morning. I didn't have enough patient for that, I just bypass that until next time.

Electrical installation was ok, turn signals are added, hand lever too;

I just add few wires extra for negative grounding. I place one ground point on left driver side and one on rear side for tail lamps and trailer socket. It looks a bit messy but I will fix that.

Carburetor looks a bit higher than it should be. I have to remove this hat on top of solex and make it a bit shorter.

Made a ride in 6 miles in fields and wood, smiling all the time. My wife made a video some but I will skip that one.
Gauges are all repro. Few in lite green color (oil pressure and odometer are bought via ebay from India, oil gauge need extra adapters for installation and spedo will not work if it is tighten, probably need some extra washer between). I will keep them until I restore originals.

Windshield is installed but inner frame not. I tried to use silicone between glass and inner frame but it was not that easy. Without spacers glass will go to bottom and you will ended with open gap on another side (top or bottom). Lesson learned but that one will be done next time.

Mechanical complete is again almost done, there is few aesthetic details which will be done latter after all (fixing scratches and replacing some bolts, bolts painting, stencils...) and then I will make some better pics :D .

Regards
Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”