Air Compressor

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Fat Albert
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Air Compressor

Post by Fat Albert » Tue May 29, 2012 6:37 am

Okay... I know this may be a little off subject here. If I'm wrong for posting this question I'll feel no animosity at the mods for removing it! Nor at anybody who tells me to bug off. :D

My question has to do with a newly acquired used air compressor for my shop. It is an industrial compressor... Huge compared to the old compressor I've been trying to get by with. But it uses a 3 phase motor. Or at least it is set up that way now. The tag on the motor says "220/440". My question is then is it possible to run this motor on a single phase 220 line? Obviously I don't have 3 phase power here at the house. I will replace the motor if I have to... But I don't want to! I have looked at replacement motors and they ain't cheap! I've looked at transformers and inverters and they are even MORE expensive! So what to do?

Alright... Tell me what you think.
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=202295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Air Compressor

Post by rjbeamer » Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 am

Best to buy a new motor as you can not run this motor on single phase without a phase converter.

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Post by Jon » Tue May 29, 2012 1:37 pm

If you lived in Australia, you wouldn't have the problem as all household electricity is 240V 10A and 15A
I've moved this to the compressor Forum......

More knowledgeable folk down there regarding compressors.

JR
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Tue May 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks Mr. Rogers... I appreciate the help. And I've never been to Australia but every other country outside of the US (besides Canada) have had 220. I remember what the Philippine wiring looked like! :shock: :shock: :shock: I don't see how the whole country doesn't burn down or fry from electricution! I have some wonderful friends there... but man the way they wire and treat electricity scares the daylights out of me!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=202295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 am

Well... good news is I was able to finalize the deal and get this huge hunk of metal home. Bad news is it is not made to run on single phase power period. So off this motor comes!

Good news is that I already may have found a replacement single phase motor! Bad news is I'm a little short on funds right now! Arrrrgggg. Ain't life grand? :)
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

ILikePlanesToo

Post by ILikePlanesToo » Wed May 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Hey man,
You might want to look at getting a phase converter. I run my big 3-phase 2 HP milling machine on single phase 220 using a small "static" phase converter. It works fine. A rotary or static (solid state) converter might be less expensive than a new motor. You might want to take a look at McMaster Carr or Granger.

Have a good evening,
Michael

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks Michael... sorry for taking so long to respond but I TOTALLY forgot about this post. (You MAY be spending too much time on here when you can't remember all youre posting!) I did check out purchasing a transformer or inverter of some sort. But they were all 2 and 3 times as expensive as a new motor. :( Then I thought I'd found a 6.5 hp single phase motor at Tractor Supply... but it runs double the rpm. Then I checked into perhaps resizing the pulleys to half the rpms so I could use the new motor. Today I had an old maintanence man shoot that down. He said stay away from the fast turning motors as they would burn out twice as fast. I found a 5 HP that turns 1725 rpm at Grainger... for $600. That's out of my price range right now. Sooooo... I'm still on the look out for a 5 horse or higher motor that turns around 1800 rpm. Sooner or later I'll find one. Until then I'll just keep turning the wrenches by hand and blasting in short bursts. No problem... this is fun and relaxation time for me so no hurry. :wink:
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Do you have any farm or industrial auctions around your area? Many time they will sell a piece of junk part or piece of equipment that has a hidden away good 5 hp single phase motor for cheap. You would have to really look, and take a chance the motor is bad, but many times you can get a good motor for cheap, but you have take the junk too. :? I bought a nearly new 5 hp motor on a junk auger for $25 and a 2 cyl air compressor with 5 hp motor for $30. They sold it as the tank was leaking, could not come up to pressure. A little bronzing on the hole and it has been just great for 7 years. It's worth looking if you get the chance.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 am

Thanks for the info Dodge Guy! Yes we have those auctions very regular around here... and I'll certainly be at the next one!
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943

majorhitt
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by majorhitt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 pm

A little more info would be great. You have a 3ph 220/440 motor, what would be good to know is what hp. and rpm. When you go shopping for a motor, have this info on hand HP 1/2, 3/4, 1, etc. RPM like your friend said if it's 1725 rpm stick with that, 1750 rpm will not hurt, 3450rpm not good for this application. FRAME type and shaft size. NO. 1 HP, NO. 2 RPM, NO.3 VOLTAGE, NO. 4 FRAME( This is how it is mounted to the equipment) and NO.5 SHAFT SIZE . Motors are not cheap, inverter drives a little cheaper. You could feed 1ph 220 and get 3ph 220 out. Check E-bay Inverter drives by Allen Bradley. Hope this helps.

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”