Unrestored M38A1 does the Moab Easter Jeep Safari

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
cdavis
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Unrestored M38A1 does the Moab Easter Jeep Safari

Post by cdavis » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 pm

I had a "barn find" experience a couple months ago that coincided with some unfortunate news regarding my younger brother's health. He had always wanted to attend the yearly Easter Jeep safari in Moab Utah. I (a little impulsively) suggested we take the stock M38A1 I had just found to this years event, while he was still relatively healthy.

In six weeks of evenings and weekends, I was able to rebuild the brake and electrical systems, put on new canvas, tires and carburetor. It ran well, with good oil pressure and the cooling system worked fine. Linseed oil brought the paint back to a dark OD green. All the paint is original. The hood numbers were painted over with OD that closely matches the rest of the jeep... I suspect when it was surplused out of the army.

I had a custom roll cage built to bolt on via existing holes and match the top bow frame outline, so it disappeared when the top was on it.

We ran out of time and I didn't get to do more than change all the fluids and drive it around the neighborhood a few times before it was time to head out to the jeep safari. It worked great though, keeping up with the modern jeeps on the trails (Secret Spire, Chicken Corners and the first half of Kane Creek Canyon.)

We had a terrific trip and everyone was impressed with the little 1953 military jeep... that a stock M38A1 that had sat in a barn for the last 30 years woke up and worked so well.

Also, Moab is an amazing place...
Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
'45 MB 430213
'53 M38A1 MD 60120

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Unrestored M38A1 does the Moab Easter Jeep Safari

Post by DDTrustee » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:10 pm

always wanted to do this in my M151A1 but everyone tells me it will beat the hell out of it!!!!! :mrgreen: :o
reenacting and WWII history

cdavis
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by cdavis » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Depends on the trails you do. They rate them 2 thru 10, with 8, 9 and 10 being impossible for a stock jeep. I think that with a locker in the rear axle, the stock M38A1 and M151 could do 5 and 6 rated trails without damage. We did 3 and 4 rated. Kane Creek is rated 6, but we turned around when the going got too rough. Good cushions are a plus on any of the trails though. :D
Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
'45 MB 430213
'53 M38A1 MD 60120

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:09 am

Nice to do that for your brother; and you are lucky to have such scenic and wild places to drive your jeeps. Unlike here, where there is absolutely no place to drive them. 100% corn and bean fields for hundreds of miles all around. Gets boring.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

cdavis
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by cdavis » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:31 pm

We are fortunate out west... I can actually hit some decent mountain trails just 5 minutes from my house in the Salt Lake metropolitan area... but the scenery isn't as spectacular as Moab. (following are Moab)

Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
'45 MB 430213
'53 M38A1 MD 60120

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:53 am

Chris, that is amazing, also to do that for your brother shows what a fantastic bond you must have. I hope he gets better. Regarding the linseed oil, i never heard of doing that but, the result speaks for itself. The jeep matches the stunning scenery.

IvorGPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by IvorGPW » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:04 am

Did you buy that Jeep on KSL Classifieds? That M38A1 looks great and Moab sure looks like a lot of fun.
Tate Christensen
1944 Ford GPW #234613 USMC Radio jeep
1943 Willys MB #263100
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
1941 Ford GP #9687
1941 Willys MB #100161

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:46 am

Hope your brother is ok and it's very nice you did this for him. You have a very nice early M38A1. Take care, John

cdavis
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by cdavis » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:02 am

Mark Jesic wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:53 am
Chris, that is amazing, also to do that for your brother shows what a fantastic bond you must have. I hope he gets better. Regarding the linseed oil, i never heard of doing that but, the result speaks for itself. The jeep matches the stunning scenery.
Thanks for the well wishes for Charlie. He has been diagnosed with a fairly aggressive cancer but it seems new advances are made every day in that field of medicine, so we're staying hopeful and planning on another trip next year.

Linseed oil works miracles on automotive paint from the period, but you need to keep the rags in a sealed, fire proof container. They can spontaneously combust.
Last edited by cdavis on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
'45 MB 430213
'53 M38A1 MD 60120

cdavis
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by cdavis » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:11 am

IvorGPW wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:04 am
Did you buy that Jeep on KSL Classifieds? That M38A1 looks great and Moab sure looks like a lot of fun.
Yes, it was listed on KSL Classifieds here in Salt Lake. I called on it and they said it was sold. Two weeks later it popped up again and I bought it. I guess the first deal fell through. It turned out really nice... WWII era in similar condition and original paint would be the only thing better in my mind.
Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
'45 MB 430213
'53 M38A1 MD 60120

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: ANYONE want to do an MV trail ride in MOAB this fall or next Easter????

Post by DDTrustee » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:50 pm

HEY?!?!?.... Anyone want to do MOAB during Easter Jeep Safari in MVs….and thinks these pictures are great (the scenery is even better than the pictures – you can’t get a wide enough lens to do it justice!!!!…..let’s have a military vehicle guy group attend!!!!!! I will put on my calendar to REMIND ANYONE INTERESTED in running a military JEEP a couple of months before and then again ONE MONTH BEFORE and make some blanket motel arrangements for five or six rooms….
The parade down main street in MVs would be fantastic......the Red Rock 4-Wheeler Jeep Safari starts the weekend before Easter and ends on Easter weekend......lets keep in touch – and do it…..a convoy without a convoy leader works for me
I have always wanted to run the M151A1 there but never had any MV company.......anyone else want to come on a trip a trip with other MV’ers?
There is also a great set of trips in September as I recall and I have the Safari trail list is anyone wants to see it - it is also on the web - we could do one or two with the Jeepers guys or do one or two ourselves at another time when the motels and restaurants aren't so crowded. The RR4WD guys would help up with the trail selection and guiding. Plus the Flea market and Vendor area during the Jeep Safari weekend is fantastic I have heard (not for MV parts but for 4WD ACCESSORIES AND THE LIKE.......JUST IN CASE YOU WANT TO DO A LITTLE BUBBA ON YOUR M38A1: green:
KEEP IN TOUCH – send me a PM with your email address and I will do a list reminder…..
reenacting and WWII history

cdavis
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by cdavis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 am

So this was my first Easter Jeep Safari, making me not much of an expert, but here's a few observations...

1) Mostly modern and/or highly modified rigs in attendance. We felt welcome, but had to hook the M38A1 up to our Xterra to keep up on the pavement sections of the runs. Those pavement sections can be significant (25 miles of a 70 mile day).

2) The trail leaders set a pace and try and keep everyone moving. They are working under special permits from the BLM and have to control how often and where folks stop to sight see. We found the pace on the first day kind of brisk and didn't get many opportunities to actually get out of the jeep and explore/take photos. Most of the photos here are from the second day, when we gave up our spot with our scheduled group and went out on our own. We had a much more relaxed drive, with more chances to swap drivers and let the less experienced folks in our group have a turn behind the wheel.

3) I suspect the Red Rock Four Wheeler group would work with us to mitigate issues 1 and 2 if we did pull together a good sized group of MVs.

4) There is a Willys specific jeep safari in May:
http://www.willysrally.com/
That might match our vehicle speeds better, but wouldn't work for military Ford and Dodge owners.

5) We could do our own informal MV trail ride the week after the official Jeep Safari, but we'd miss out on the big vendor raffles Dan mentioned.

Just a few thoughts... but I like the overall idea of a MV group at Moab!
Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
'45 MB 430213
'53 M38A1 MD 60120

TGP
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by TGP » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Chris,
That's Awesome!
Glad to see your still at it.
M38A1 turned out Great.
Tom
"47" Dodge WDX ww
"52" Dodge M37 ww
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" Kaiser M35A1 ww
"86" M1028A2

Bretto
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bretto » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Im trying to get down this next following weekend. April 20 or 21 if you are interested. Im driving my stock M38, so we'd be a good mix. Im going to hits Hells and maybe Fins if there is time.
Brett

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon May 07, 2018 5:31 am

What an amazing story! Great job and thanks for sharing!
I regret selling my M38A1 as it was a pleasure to drive. Very hard to start at the beginning of the day.
I did easter jeep once and don't regret it as its worth seeing what everyone is driving. but to pay for the trail and to be told what to do and how to drive all day is not something i'll do again.
Kane creek is my favorite trail but an unlocked TJ with us was somewhat helpless without a locker. It gets nasty at the end where 1 locker at a minimum is needed and chance of rollover and body damage is likely in a short jeep. I've seen some modern Toyota land cruisers do it and I was surprised they made it without front lockers.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”