M38A1 Solex M34PBIC Jetting for High Altitude

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
elkhornss
G-Civilian
M38A1 Solex M34PBIC Jetting for High Altitude

Post by elkhornss » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Hope this is the correct forum for this question, so here goes; I have a 1952 M38A1 with the F-head engine. Engine and surroundings look pretty original and it came with this Solex carb. I bought it from the east coast and had it delivered in Colorado. I'm in the Rockies at 8500' in elevation. Had loads of difficulties getting it up and running even replacing the rebuilt carburetor with a new, matching one. It appears the carb that it came with, as well as the new carb have the basic jets, meaning sea level to ~5000' or so. I would assume that there are two sets of jets recommended for above and below a certain altitude.

This thing is running way rich. I've been unable to find anyone, or printed material that gives me any information on what jets need to be swapped out and what numbers they need to be.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

elkhornss
G-Civilian
Re: M38A1 Solex M34PBIC Jetting for High Altitude

Post by elkhornss » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:10 am

So far no hits on the jetting issue.

However, a mechanical genius I know who works on other cars using Solex carbs says that driving with the choke on to keep the revs up is more likely a vacuum issue. I tried to sort it out but not sure where, other than the vacuum line to the wipers, all vacuum lines, connections, etc that I would follow. I did sprayed carb cleaner around hose fittings, intake manifold to engine, carb to manifold etc to see if I got a rise out of the engine. No change.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”