Battery Tray Coatings

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Battery Tray Coatings

Post by w30bob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 am

Hi Guys,

Has anyone found anything you can coat a battery tray with that acid won't destroy? I've tried most things....POR15......undercoating.......but nothing works. This day in age there must be something that's acid resistant. What did you guys in the military do........or did you just order a ton of battery trays. :D

thanks,
bob

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Battery Tray Coatings

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 am

The Army used to do annual PM in the battery compartment, the trays were removed, cleaned by wire brushing and washing off any corrosion. The boxes and trays got a fresh coating of Battery Box Paint, a special GI issue coating .
The key to battery box cleanliness is is to not overfill batterys, resist the temptation to remove the voltage regulator cover and fiddle with the parts, and not overcharge and boil over the batteries should they need a charge. It helps to remember to take the garden hose and run a little water over the batteries to rid them of any acid residue from charging vapors
I like to use the spray cans of 3-M Pick up body liner on my clean battery trays, it seems to do the job. I use original GI Issue US 2HN Batteries and have no issues.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Bill P
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bill P » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:15 am

Someone put me on to using "battery mats" several years ago and they work. They are acid neutralizing absorbent pads and they are placed under the batteries on the tray. I buy several at a time and even place them around the batteries in the box. I replace them periodically. Shop around on the web, because price varies quite a bit for the same product. Hope this helps.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:16 pm

The Battery Box Paint is listed in the back of the ORD 8's for the 50's M-Series Trucks and Jeeps. It's good stuff.
I try to clean and spot paint my M-38/M-38A1 Battery Boxes, trays, etc., at least every two years.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”