ID M38-A1 year / Engine ID / Trouble shoot carb /Advice

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
LWilson
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
ID M38-A1 year / Engine ID / Trouble shoot carb /Advice

Post by LWilson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:16 pm

I believe the jeep is a 1952 based on the WO SN behind the passenger seat which is MD 32728. (There are no dash data plates.) The engine is a Hurricane F134 with stamped block number 807005. The block has CR 64 30 cast in the block by the carburetor/ The LH side of the block as you face it from the front has 646228-W-12-D-AR cast just above the oil pan / The RH side has 3 630 cast just above the oil pan.
Jeep starts with choke but dies when the choke is pushed off.... Ordered a kit and rebuilt the carb which is a Carter YF. On the carb base that bolts to the block is cast with I-630 / the middle part of the carb with the float bowl has cast 0-756 and 11 patent numbers on the bowl with the lowest on the list being 2658733 / the top of the carb with the bowl cap has cast 6-715 / (No other identification)
The Accelerator plunger has some specific measurements which I matched as close as I could with available kits, ordered and installed it.
With choke on, I was able to get it to start but when I push it in the engine dies. I have tried to adjust the metering rod, Idle adjust needle and float.
I would like to check the timing..... My timing chain cover does not look like there are TDC or BTDC markings and there is no window to view the flywheel timing marks. The pulley is notched and when in about the 12 position, the distributor rotor is pointed at the #1 cylinder wire. The Jeep was converted to 12 volts by the previous owner. I will try to send pics should it be necessary.
Is the engine a later model? Is the YF carb ok to run on this engine? I believed the original M38-A1 carb should be the YS type........... Are there any other web sites that you recommend that could provide answers? Any help getting this M38-A1 back on the road is much appreciated. Thanks

4X4M38
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Re: ID M38-A1 year / Engine ID / Trouble shoot carb /Advice

Post by 4X4M38 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 am

There are plenty of troubleshooting guides out there.

My take is if you do nothing with the fuel and only open the choke you are leaning out the mixture to where it won’t burn, I.e., too much air. Which tells me you have an air leak somewhere.

Or your idle mixture is too lean.

Just my two cents.

Brian

LWilson
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by LWilson » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am

Brian, will explore the idle mixture and air leak concern. Thanks for your assistance with this.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:05 am

CJJ-3B and CJ-5 all left the factory with YF Carburetor. YF will work fine on that M-38A1 and to install it properly, the GJ-f Air Cleaner, Air Cleaner Elbow and CJ -5 Hose will make it complete.
Good YF Cores as installed on the CJ's are hard to come by.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”