steering column or seat modifications

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: steering column or seat modifications

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 am

1) remove column from jeep
2) carefully cut a section out of the tube
3) carefully cut a section out of the shaft
4) install new upper bearing in shaft
5) weld splined end of shaft to original shaft

Voila! kinda like Tom's suggestion...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

semberae
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by semberae » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Is that safe to cut and weld the steering shaft??? :?:

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 am

If it's done by a certified welder it will be!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

AJT-AZ
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by AJT-AZ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 am

I was a welder and I think that would be a clean way to shorten the shaft. Tig welding would be the best way.

DUNK
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by DUNK » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:01 pm

phendriks82 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 am
Hello im in the process of trying to restore my ww2 willys jeep,
however im not the skinniest person and the steering wheel is very uncomfortably close to my gut ,
how can we modify this without messing with the originality too much?

1:can the steering column be shortened, and if so how? or would this result in the opposite: my knees hitting the steering wheel?
2: is there a way to modify the seat other than thinner cussions? without cutting stuff up too much (cutting in the seat is fine)

at the moment it is very uncomfortable to drive, even so for a less "big" friend of mine.
so any help would be appreciated.
I cannot see why a smaller,say 14 inch wheel could be made as there is a great deal of interest in this subject. The KISS principal applies here for sure.
I have looked at dozens of stg. wheels over the years and have yet to find a proper fit that is not 17 inches.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:47 am

phendriks82 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 am
does anyone know if a steering column of perhaps a later model (CJ series) which is shorter might fit?
My '42 appears to have a M38? Column, (the horn wire goes through the end of the steering box)
When compared to my friends 44 Willy, it's about 1" more clearance right where it counts with the wheel about 1" closer to the dash.
V/R W WInget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:45 pm

I use a smaller wheel from a tractor, direct fit, chances of finding one though are slim, It works fine, it is black rubber type material. steers fine. You can always get a cj wheel, get the plastic off it, cut the spokes off at the outside and weld them to a smaller tractor steering wheel, then get it recovered. lots of work. Jeep police will moan. Put the original wheel back on when I did the seat move back.

I also did the seat move back cut the wheel well mumbo jumbo. My own fab, did not buy the ready to go kit. It has its issues too, welding, cutting,painting, When getting out the hip cushion is in the way so you have to wiggle and twist to get out, seat cushion don't feel right. Has to do with its not back far enough. More knee room under the steer column and a little easier to push the pedals. I am happy with this method, Makes driving the jeep fun again.

Adam

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:28 pm

I have not been posting much the past year due to a few issues hence my late post to this thread.

First up I can say I am 6'4" tall and when I stopped doing army a number of years back I got "bigger and I had the same problem with my gut hitting the steering wheel like everyone else here and driving the Jeep was a real chore.

Well I had a little wake up call and the pre op Doctor told me to De-tox prior to surgery I had to have, not serious but in the long term it had the potential to be, she also read me the riot act about my ballooning weight and told me what I was likely to face post surgery if I didn't do something about it.

She mentioned things like Diabetes, Sleep Apnoea, High Blood Pressure and a host of other things all of which were bad, So post surgery she referred me to a dietician / nutritionist and I listed to all the advice she gave me.

Just under 2 years later I am 90lb lighter, can leap in and out of my Jeep like a young fit 20 year old, have loads of energy and I can fit behind the steering wheel of my Jeep easily and look in awe at the 6 inch gap between it and my gut.

So my point is take care of yourselves and your health, watch what & how much you eat and you won't have to modify your Jeep to enjoy t, if I can do it anyone can.

I do not mean to offend anyone by writing this but once again please do all you can to take and take care of your health and enjoy the MV world.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:53 am

Well said John, all of us could do more to stay healthier.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri May 10, 2019 10:36 am

I gained weight due to medications. That meant my belly finally met the steering wheel. That was 235lbs on a 6'4" frame.

I could butcher my jeep or.....do what I really needed to do....I cut down on calories, ate smaller portions and sacrificed my standard one glass of wine, one Beck's or Corona or a Cuba Libre with Coke in it every night of the week...I mean, hey it's only ONE of them each night!

I drink more plain water, some fruit juices instead...maybe half the booze intake and even less soda pop1

I'm back to 224-225 lbs now and it all came from my belly/gut.

Funny though, some of my Levi's and shorts that were too tight suddenly fit a lot better as well!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Wed May 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Some of us don't have a choice about our weight, weather due to medication or medical issues. On the other hand some of us are happy the way we are and since its our jeep we will modify it to fit our needs. Purists will really scream when I take the sawzall make a DJMB when my issues wont let me bend around the body parts to get into my jeep.

Adam

Papi Phil
G-Civilian

Post by Papi Phil » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:12 am

Hi, I am new to this forum and just saw this topic and I am going thru the issue myself with my 42 MB. What I found out is that this a very common issue. Do not cut the wheel well and do not cut the steering colum...no need....the very best solution and by far the easiest is seen here on this terrific website..
https://www.1942gpw.com/article/45/G503 ... dification
you can see on the last page of that particular modification, that the owner is not, unlike you, the skinniest guy around and he has plenty of room once the modification is done.

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”