Air filters.

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Air filters.

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:36 am

Guys, i have noticed here in England that some jeep suppliers are selling cardboard air filters that fit in the original oil bath filter(oil remoned obviously). Do you guys in various other countries do this ? is it beneficial ? I had not heard of this till a couple of weeks ago, so it seems its a new idea on the block. Advice would be grateful.

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Air filters.

Post by Michael O. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 am

Mark, guys have been using paper air filters in their Oakes and AC air cleaners on g503’s here for a while now...few decades I would say....maybe longer. I’m relatively new to the hobby (25 years) so some of the guys who’ve been around longer might have a better idea. Some guys prefer the paper filters since there’s no oil to mess with. Personally, I prefer the original method!
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:55 am

I fitted a Nissan Diesel pickup dry air filter element in my GPW's stock housing in probably 1985! :wink:

Search around on this forum, there's a few ways to skin that cat!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:42 am

I read about this modification a few years ago and have been making up the kits and selling them since then having made about 20 of them. I have no specific evidence they are better than the original - although most people agree there is a difference - but to me the main advantage is one to change them is a clean - hands operation without the need to demount the filter casing from the bulkhead.
It was just one of a series of modifications carried out when I restored it in 2009
Rod Rushton - Winner 2013 MVT Wilkinson Sword Trophy
Exeter Devon UK
FORD GPW 202055 DoD 5 - 22 - 44 Serial# 20534360
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43
Piper Cub 1944 L4H 480015 G-AKIB

1942 CHEVROLET G506 CARGO. #2NM 213219
1943 AUSTIN LIGHT UTILITY M6448770

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, to further this i have also heard of jeep owners putting grease in the oilbath filter, saying its less messy. Any views on this one ?

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 am

Do not use grease.
Air going to the engine has to pass through the oil in the oil cup on the bottom of the filter.
No way air is going to pass through grease.
Had a customer call me, back in the winter on a day it got to -18' F.
He had 15w-40 oil in the oil cup on the filter. Tractor manual said use the same oil in the air filter cup as in the engine crankcase. At -18' F, the oil was so thick, air couldn't get through. Like running with the choke on.
I also pointed out to him, the manual said use lighter oil in colder weather. That included, in the air filter.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike. :D

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original oil bath air filter.
Serviced correctly & filled to the exact level marked on the pan, they do a wonderful job.
How many here have emptied & cleaned one used in severe service?
So much dirt & dust filtered out will be seen, settled in the pan bottom.
It is also part of the original L134 Jeep engine sound.
Also look @ the number old Land-rovers & VW beetles in good running order.
They use exactly the same system, VW on a slightly smaller scale.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:12 am

A paper element is more efficient at dirt removal at all engine speeds. they are a positive filter meaning 100% of the air must pass through the filter element. Efficiency is usually above 98%, often over 99% at their micron rating and will still filter the air if wet (Assuming a properly made element).

One may be tempted to install one of the oiled cheese cloth filters (K&N) I don't recommend that as I've seen them pass grit when wetted with water and have seen where driving in dusty conditions, that fine talcum powder like dust has passed through them ruining Jeep engines. Over-cleaning them makes it worse.

Oil bath systems generally are most efficient at one narrow band of air speed through it. Too slow and the fine particles can make the turn around the baffle, too fast and grit laden oil can be pulled through the mesh. If you drive through deep water and the element floods or just overfills from water ingestion, you instantly pull grit laden oil into the engine, (think lapping compound). If you don't follow the daily maintenance schedule while off-roading, the dirt can build up the oil level high enough to cause the grit and oil to be ingested also. I don't think there is a currently made Military or commercial vehicle still using the oil bath system.

Artificer, going from the OEM oil bath element to the paper element in the same housing didn't change the sound on my GPW or my buddy's Willys. I think the four bladed fan is the main source of out beloved "jeep" sound!

Lastly, the first time you accidently spill the dirty oil in the filter over your freshly restored engine compartment, you'll wish you installed a paper element! :oops:
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
MVPA #8266
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:48 am

It's sort of a feel good thing for Jeep owners who are experiencing a lemming moment. Not as bad as the toilet paper oil filter though. :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:39 pm

You can still buy the "toilet paper" filters! :lol:

Made by Frantz since 1953!:
http://www.frantzfilters.com/

They now recommend using their proprietary rolls of filter materiel, though. Filter down to two microns. Customers are still using two ply in them:
http://www.frantzfilters.com/new-filter-media-release/

Another version, here, recommends 1 ply, 1000 sheet rolls:
http://www.toiletpaperoilfilter.com/the ... mpany.html

:idea: I've got one of these units I scrounged at a pick your part years back, maybe I should try it on my CJ-8 which is due for an oil change in 1000 miles and see if it will clean the fairly dirty oil in it 8)
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
MVPA #8266

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:16 am

I remember the toiler paper filters from way back.
Never could convince myself to use one.
Ever see a roll of toilet paper that got wet accidently. What a mess.
Maybe it uses "truck stop" toilet paper. Single ply and you couldn't poke a hole in that stuff with a punch.
:idea:
Maybe if the paper comes apart and gets in to the lube system, it would stop up oil leaks, like "Ole Hiram" putting horse manure in his radiator to stop a coolant leak. :mrgreen:
Depth filters. Those are still popular. Instead of pleated paper , they look like a cotton ball stuffed into a can.
Guess the subject is air filters.
Can you get enough air through a roll of toilet paper to not choke the engine down ??
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am

TP holds together in oil just fine, and will absorb about 6 ounces of water from your engine oil, helping keep the acid from forming. It is recommended to use the cheaper tightly packed 1000 sheet rolls of paper instead of the fluffy kind.

If the TP roll was big enough it would flow just fine! :lol:
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
MVPA #8266

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Tue May 15, 2018 4:41 pm

There seems to be a few misunderstandings on these filters. It’s not really a bad system (the oil bath). The air doesn’t pass through the oil, the dirt just drops down into the oil. It is good enough that there were even home vacuum cleaners made with a similar system, except they used water instead of oil. Think about that..... good enough for a vacuum cleaner should be at least somewhat good. As far as an oily mess, you can drop the bottom off the canister and check the oil level or change the oil without removing the whole canister. Pretty easy really, just flip the clips and it comes right off. I don’t know how often they recommend cleaning the upper wire mesh, but if your oil never seems to need changed, then in my mind the mesh should be fine.
Not worth switching to a modern filter in my opinion.
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 am

Agreed JIMN, i have the pancake filter, so when i changed the oil in mine it was a bit messy, its a bit harder to judge the level in these.

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”