REPLACING PADDLE IN THE WIPER MOTOR ?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
REPLACING PADDLE IN THE WIPER MOTOR ?

Post by aramis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:31 am

Hi,
I have probblem vith replacing vacuun wiper motor paddle. If I use washers (A) the rivet (B) is too short. Do You have anny idea !!!!!! ???
aramis
Attachments
paddle.jpg
paddle.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 4957 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: REPLACING PADDLE IN THE WIPER MOTOR ?

Post by aramis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:56 am

Hi,
Today I open new wiper motor. It is not new, it is my new toy, and I find that washers served to fill space on shaft. S type wiper motors used both leather and blackhide paddles. See the insert of TRICO manual. So I think it is not necessary to use it if not need it.
Attachments
paddle 1.jpg
paddle 1.jpg (117.01 KiB) Viewed 4911 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:53 am

Hi,
Look, I open new toy and I think it is time to rebuilt it. So I start with cleaning and collecting the missing pieces. For proper function it is necessery to clean and inspect every piece. During the dismantling every piece go in dry solvent and after drying go in box readi for reuse. As You see on picture wiper motors are in bed condition. After dismantling I mus check motor body. Must be clean and without scratches inside. Unfortunatly I have no ''go no go'' tool. But it is not big probblem becose I will check motor visual and with finger (ha, ha). I dont understend why manual lever is not included in repair kit ? Most wiper motors arrived in my hends with broken levers. Next step is finde the Repair kit. It is not big problem to finde one, and price is not too big. So I buy several kits. This is my first rebuild, and I think that I need more then one, You understend...........
Attachments
motor vacuum.jpg
motor vacuum.jpg (82.57 KiB) Viewed 4864 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 pm

I found the repair kits in USA (4 pcs – 24 US$ in DODGE box). It is fair price and like new NOS parts. The levers I found on another place, but no securing screws so I take this screws from old Vard Lafrance wrecker, folbert wiper motors. I keep this motors at home last 20 years and not find the time to see what is inside. Now I take screw and complete list of parts need to make repair.
Attachments
WM KIT.jpg
WM KIT.jpg (237.71 KiB) Viewed 4822 times

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:48 am

Hi Aramis,

Thanks for sharing your wiper motor adventures. It, just like your speedo and other gauge posts are very interesting- please keep them up! They give alot of inspiration to others to tackle something, especially seeing someone pulling the finer details apart and making them work again.

Cheers,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:15 am

Hi, Ian and thank's for Your interest. I will finish my wiper motor but it take some time.
Now in process dismantling the wiper motor it is time to remove the valves. In fact it is not probblem but I sugest to use special tool, easy made in local turning (grinding) shop. This tool will help You to remove old and after to install new valves. And please vhen removed the valves, check the position of air passages on valves to know how to reinstall new valves. I forget, but I have TRICO repair manual and I will check in it.
Attachments
VALVES.jpg
VALVES.jpg (61.02 KiB) Viewed 4780 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:09 am

Hi,
Next step is complete cleaning of old paint and grease. And of course there is another thing. My wiper motor has civilian top cover. In fact it is not realy probblem, but I decide to replace it vith one original top cover removed from one parts donor. The wiper motor bodi is slightly coroded inside but I think that it is not seriose and hope wiper will vork after rebuild. Umfortunately I have no go-no- go tool for control condition of wiper motor body.
Attachments
WIPER TOP.jpg
WIPER TOP.jpg (108.35 KiB) Viewed 4753 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:43 am

Hi,
Before start assembling the wiper motor I have two solutions, repare old shaft or use new one. This new shaft come in my hands complete with paddle. Man who sold it sed thet it is difficult to install padle on shaft. In that time I need some new shafts so I buy it with out anny question. Today I decide to rebuilt old shaft and see what will happened. Next week I must visit my turner and he mast make shaft from two half of shafts. He must use front part from shaft (A) and aft part from shaft (B) see on photo. Then we will see.
aramis
Attachments
shafts.jpg
shafts.jpg (82.28 KiB) Viewed 4705 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi
In mean time I start to reassembly the wiper motor. First I put on his place the valves.Replace old valves becose old vorn valves are one of reason why wiper vont work properly. For reinstaling the valves use same tool used when removing old valves. Valves must go in from the top. Start new bushings in the housing so that the open slots in the side of the bushing face towards the slotted opening in the die cast body. In this moment of repair I replace suction pipe on top cover. For this I use same tool as per replacing valves.
aramis
Attachments
valves + suction pipe.JPG
valves + suction pipe.JPG (123.86 KiB) Viewed 4664 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:41 am

Hi,
As I said my craftsman is too old and I have no time to wait, so I decide to repair shaft alone. I cut the shafts and take good ends from both and later weld it.I am not blacksmith but repair wiper motor shaft very easy. I hope now it work !?
aramis
Attachments
shaft.jpg
shaft.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:54 am

Hi,
It is time to assembling the motor. First grease the motor. Usualy I use grease resistant to water, grease You use on boat trailer. After that it is time to put paddle in his place.It is quite probblem becose I have no FORMING TRAY. It is probblem, but I use my fingers to help paddle to enter in his place. It is difficult to explain but it is not problem. Just push flexible sides of the paddle with fingers to help enter paddle in the motor. Paddle will not seat on his place until you mount the cover. First You need mount the cover on his place and after that paddle will sit on his place.
Aramis.
Attachments
WM Aa.JPG
WM Aa.JPG (126.91 KiB) Viewed 4614 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi,
After the paddle is on his place remove the cover and install the gaskets and the pistons and the tripper. It is easier to mount tripper on his place if You pull the shaft and paddle little bit out. Dont worry the paddle is formed so You have no probblem with turning it back. Now it is time to hook spring on his place (2) and tripper on the shaft (first position). After that install the gaskets and the cover. After the cover is in his place pull the tripper in his place on cover(4). Now it is moment to tide cover with screws and attach back cover and lewer on back side and mounting brecket on front side.
aramis
Attachments
WMAS.jpg
WMAS.jpg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 4607 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:29 am

Hi,
Here we have rebuild wiper motor. As You can see the unit is rebuild from old parts, only repair kit and hand lever, are new original old stock. I like the early repair kit, but late repair kit will work as well. After all unit looks correct. Now I am waiting the paint from France. Of course unit work well. I hope You will see it on YouTube in next few weeks. My daughter will arrive from study for Christmas, and try show me how to put it on YouTube.
aramis
Attachments
rebuild wiper.jpg
rebuild wiper.jpg (160.16 KiB) Viewed 4588 times

aramis
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by aramis » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi,
At last by following this link You will see how the rebuilt motor works . I attached it on a vacuum pipe on my truck. As can You see I have other wiper motors on my truck. Driver's wiper is a bit faster (from JEEP CJ) and the right side is slower (original). On both motors are 10'' blades from Israel.
I hope You like to see this repair, and I wish You Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
aramis

http://youtu.be/yISSlHi6IFU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:32 am

Well done Aramis!

Thankyou for sharing all of this with us and am glad to see it works, (and works very well too!) I look forward to more youtube videos of your work now you know how to do it!

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and the family too,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”